SOLVED

MS team files synced to One Drive, but cannot contribute (add new files)

Copper Contributor
We need to control our records therefore members only have view and contribute access meaning they can view and add new files but cannot delete nor edit.

Things are working the way how we need it to be directly on MS Team.

Some of the members had started syncing the MS team to our One Drive for easy retrieval of files, but they cannot contribute new files using the One Drive platform, it just doesn't sync the new files back to MS Team.

I am the owner of the channel so I have full access, i have no issues syncing the files back and forth between MS Team and One Drive.
But the members can only add new files directly to MS team but not One Drive.

Does anyone know how we can fix it so that the members can add files from One Drive and successfully sync to MS Team?

Thanks
Hazel
5 Replies

@heysohung Hi Hazel,

Just to be sure and this may be the case if you say you can add in Teams and see the OneDrive sync location reflect that?

However each channel within a Team has its files segregated by way of a folder for each respective channel within the default Documents (Shared Documents) library of the SharePoint site that backs the Team.

So for example have you clicked sync from within the files tab of the Team or could it have been accidently setup just to the root of the Documents library, so files are still being added but not to the folder that the files tab of the channel will be looking to?

Thanks

Henry

@heysohung 

Permissions on files are all maintained in SharePoint so I would go and have a look in SharePoint(Open in SharePoint) and do "Check Permissions" on the library permissions screen for those users. The out of the box "Contribute" permission level does allow editing and deleting of files.

The only way you could have give the users the ability to add files and not edit or delete is to create a custom permission level. If you haven't done this that would be the issue. 

@HenryPhillipsNimbitech 

Thanks Henry for your reply.

Yes, the sub folders are still inheriting the permissions from the parents.

And yes, our OneDrive is setup to sync to entire parent folder meaning all the sub folders are being synced as well.

The users have no issues adding new files directly to MS Team but the issue is that they cannot add new files from their OneDrive (because it doesn't sync backwards).

The OneDrive way will only work if I change their permission to allow editing access but I can only give them contribute access.

Thanks,

Hazel

@Andrew Hodges 

Thanks Andrew for your reply.

Yes, a customized permission level was setup for Contribute - Can view, add list items and documents.

And the members were granted this access.

The users have no issues adding new files directly to MS Team but the issue is that they cannot add new files from their OneDrive (because it doesn't sync backwards).

The OneDrive way will only work if I change their permission to allow editing access but I can only give them contribute access.

Thanks,

Hazel

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @heysohung - I am afraid that edit permissions are required to sync to a SharePoint Document Library using the OneDrive for Business client:

henryarphillips365_0-1593985370210.png

As it goes beyond just uploading files as part of the sync operation, it also needs to change its state etc. and therefore needs to be able to change documents by way of the edit permission.

Thanks

Henry

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @heysohung - I am afraid that edit permissions are required to sync to a SharePoint Document Library using the OneDrive for Business client:

henryarphillips365_0-1593985370210.png

As it goes beyond just uploading files as part of the sync operation, it also needs to change its state etc. and therefore needs to be able to change documents by way of the edit permission.

Thanks

Henry

View solution in original post