SOLVED

microsoft teams on vmware horizon view

Brass Contributor

Looking to move my company from zoom and onto Microsoft Teams adding the phone license, but the limitations of running teams in View compared to zoom are quite large.  we have been using zoom in VDI for conferencing and chat for awhile now and teams seems really behind on support for VDI. No blur or backgrounds, no direct routing, limited video gallery and window/screensharing. 

Wondering if anyone here is using teams as your phone and conference solution on win10 horizon view.

Configuring Media Optimization for Microsoft Teams (vmware.com)

5 Replies

@Jason_B1025 Features are trickling through, on VMWare Horizon you should have recently received Multi Windows support, Captions and Give/Take control. Webcam blur recently arrived for Windows 365 VDI so I would imagine it's coming for VMWare.

I'm not sure what you mean by Direct Routing not being available, I can't see why it's not. 

Agree direct routing should work, its just on the list from the link I included as not supported. Are you running it on Horizon as your phone system?
best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
Solution
To clarify it says "media bypass for direct routing" is not supported. This essentially means that instead of sending media/RTP streams back to your local SBC, they will always go to the Teams media gateways. I suspect this is because of the potential routing of media paths that come up when doing offloading to the machine that you're connecting to the VDI from.
Thank you for the clarification. Does that mean if I call another user in the office through teams it will stream back to the Teams media gateways and not do a point to point call?
As far as I'm aware, as long as the VDI can talk to the other Teams client, be it another VDI or a regular client, media will be direct between devices where possible.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
Solution
To clarify it says "media bypass for direct routing" is not supported. This essentially means that instead of sending media/RTP streams back to your local SBC, they will always go to the Teams media gateways. I suspect this is because of the potential routing of media paths that come up when doing offloading to the machine that you're connecting to the VDI from.

View solution in original post