Latest Update (May 2023), Right-Click copy highlighted text selects and copies entire message

Copper Contributor

As of lately, appears to be with newest update to teams, when you select a specific text from a teams message and right-click to copy, it selects the ENTIRE message and copies the entire message. CTRL + C appears to work just fine, but many of my users use the right-click copy method. Any workaround?

User desktop version 1.6.00.11166 that was last updated 5/26/2023.

Alright submitted feedback to MSFT via Teams app, but wanted to know if anyone else had experienced that.

11 Replies
Same thing going on with my Teams as well. Happened about a couple weeks ago.

I frequently double click to hilight a single word, then right click to copy. This has changed so that right-clicking a hilighted area extends the hilight to an entire paragraph --- possibly at the first typed carriage return separating a chat msg.

That issue seems to happen only in the Chat section. Hilighting and right click to copy seems to work normal in the Teams section.

@ChrisF512 and @AndyEbert245  My experience is that of ChrisF512's. Only in the chat section is this a problem. I am using desktop version 1.6.00.12455 (64 bits), last updated May 31.

the same occurs in the meantime also via browser

Why hasnt the microsoft SUPPORT CHAT AGENT  stepped in on this to advise us on how to correct this copy paste issue.  Our company uses phones and they do not have a ctrl +c function this is BAD! @AndyEbert245 

This is affecting all our users, both in the desktop app and in the web client. It is particularly infuriating as we use teams chat to move technical information around between our team members and this makes the process more error prone than it needs to be.

@AndyEbert245 I am having the same issue. 

The amount of problems that has come out of MSTeams chat is staggering. 

The absurd thing is that a lot of these issues affect the basic functions of the software, like copying text or just basic search (something Microsoft should have a lot of experience with). 

I assume that MS has been selling this crap software to enterprise for dirt cheap, if not for free if they purchase / subscribe to some new MS office license. 

Employees are forced to use this garbage the same way MS forces users to use edge and push everyone to their latest unfinished, untested, problematic-prone version of windows. 

@AndyEbert245 Oddly, I have just the opposite problem (Teams v1.6.00.16472 updated 22 June 2023).  I select the entire text of a message in Teams, then right click and the selection narrows to just a single sentence, or even less.  Oddly, ^C works correctly (it copies the entire text that I've selected).

Copy-paste has worked correctly in Windows applications since Win3.1, why can't Teams get it right?

@mcswellSo I just tried it and it appears to have fixed the issue regarding highlighting a single word or phrase. I tried to duplicate your issue and I cannot seem to get it to duplicate.

For some users, I had to close out teams completely then restart it and the single copy word started working. Maybe something to try if you can.

AndyEbert245_0-1688060265457.png

@mcswell I believe this is the same problem, regardless of how much or little I highlight, right clicking changes the text selection to the current line. For my team it's always expanding the selection because we're usually copying device IDs or ticket numbers out of a chat, but I can reproduce your issue by selecting more than one line.

@AndyEbert245 Since 2 days, this error no longer occurs in the app, in EDGE the problem still exists