How to control Teams Peer-to-Peer calls

Copper Contributor

One of my end users reported poor video and audio quality during a call today.  Upon investigation and trying a video call with this end user, I observed that audio and video media was being sent peer to peer directly between this end user and my own workstation.  Ordinarily this would be fine, however, we are in different physical locations which are linked together by site to site VPN.

VPN is not the best medium for real time video traffic.  I like the idea of having peer to peer connections for end users who are in the same physical network but I would like for Teams media to NOT cross a site to site VPN link.  What is the best way to accomplish this?

2 Replies

@bpoindexter did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the same issue now, and the answer has been to block p2p ports so p2p calls are forced to go out to the Internet. However, It seems like it may be causing issues and I'm wondering if there is a better way. 

@bpoindexter  , same case we have here.  Is there any way to disable peer to peer, or any other workaround available?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/microsoft-teams-online-call-flows