How to connect with family and friends in the real world?

Copper Contributor

Microsoft announced:
"Microsoft Teams The power to organize and connect with family and friends, all in one app."

How should that work in the real world?

My case is:

Me (Teams in the company)

My wife (Teams in the Company)

Kid 1 (Teams at school 1)

Kid 2 (Teams at school 1)

Kid 3 (Teams at school 2)

Kid 4 (Teams at school 2)

So we are 6 People in 4 organizatons. I registerred with my personal mail (microsoft account wher also our o365 is running) for Teams and invited all family members.

Klicking on the invitation does nothing, no error only actitating the Teams desktop client. My wife and the kids mostly use Teams on their Windows 10 machines and NOT on the iPhone, so it doesnt help, that we cold use the phone, because no one would ever read something there.

I do definitely NOT want to invite any of the falmily members to one of the corporate Teams. I needs to be separate.

Is there really anyone in the real world, who has teams only for personal use with no company account? After about one yer beeing forced to use Teams in the company, im now convinced to use it also at home... but how?

3 Replies

@FriFraCologne 

Each member will have to use a Microsoft account. You all probably have and use one to log into Windows anyway.

You will then be able to add that account to the Teams app and switch between school / company account and the private one.

This has been working in the mobile app for several months now and will soon, if not already, work in the desktop app like this as well. For me, however, the option is not yet shown and just logging in only into the private account still runs into an error message.

However, aside from the mobile app, it is already working under https://teams.live.com/, albeit only for my personal account.

Hope that helps / Schöne Grüsse in meine alte Heimatstadt

@FriFraCologne 

I already have in update: If you had Teams installed machine-wide, then you might need to uninstall it. In my case, I had this done on two machines and on both Teams was not properly updated.

After uninstalling and the installing the newly downloaded app, I was not only able to use the private account but also private and company account at the same time.

I was positively surprised that, unlike Slack, Teams has separate Windows for it.

Can't wait for the upcoming support for multiple company / corporate accounts.

Have a nice weekend!