SOLVED

How to configure library shortcut in Teams channel

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I have an existing structure where I created a Team Channel that has a library. Within that library folder, I created multiple folders for each department e.g. Marketing, HR. Currently, I have provided selective access to HR folder to a specific group of users. (I don't want to give access to all of the content within HR, but I can control this with standard permissions).

In the meantime, we created a private channel for HR. With that, it came a library in Sharepoint. Is there a way for me to "redirect" the "Files" into that HR folder that already exists in another location?

An alternative that I used in the past is to create a tab in the channel for a SharePoint library, but this seems to point always to the parent folder (the Document library) and not the specific HR folder, even if I use the direct link.

Any help is appreciated

thanks

3 Replies

@ruka 

Try this in the private channel Files Tab

Teams Real Simple with Pictures: Accessing all of your Teams files through a single channel – @Micro...

Permissions should carry through and the users in the private channel only see folders with which they have access to

Let me know how it goes

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard,
thanks for sharing. This approach will allow me to map the Document "Parent library" and will not allow me to select sub-folders within it like choosing to map just a subfolder instead of the parent. correct? I could have missed something.
best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
Solution

@ruka 

Correct. At the current time you can only link a library and so have to go through the root folder, however it will only show the end user folders they have permissions on so could be a solution if the end users are ok with the clickthrough. 

ChristopherHoard_0-1640978905534.png

There is no way to just show the relevant subfolder there as it's a limitation so I have opened a feedback you can vote up on

Allow mapping of a SharePoint Subfolder via Cloud Storage · Community (microsoft.com)

You could always open it as a website Tab, however this would potentially fragment the users files experience

ChristopherHoard_1-1640979157470.png

Hope that answers your question

Best, Chris

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
Solution

@ruka 

Correct. At the current time you can only link a library and so have to go through the root folder, however it will only show the end user folders they have permissions on so could be a solution if the end users are ok with the clickthrough. 

ChristopherHoard_0-1640978905534.png

There is no way to just show the relevant subfolder there as it's a limitation so I have opened a feedback you can vote up on

Allow mapping of a SharePoint Subfolder via Cloud Storage · Community (microsoft.com)

You could always open it as a website Tab, however this would potentially fragment the users files experience

ChristopherHoard_1-1640979157470.png

Hope that answers your question

Best, Chris

View solution in original post