SOLVED

How to change directory on Teams Channel - File tab without deleting files

Copper Contributor

I added the wrong SharePoint directory to the Files tab in a Teams channel. I wanted to add the root directory, but accidentally added a sub-directory.

Now I can't find any way to change it -- either remove the sub-directory and start all over, or change the settings somehow so it points to the root directory.

I don't want to delete the files from SharePoint. I just want to change which files are showing in the Files tab in the Teams channel.

I added a screen shot -- hope that explains. Any suggestions?

Thank you! I'm new to Teams and still stumbling around.

3 Replies
best response confirmed by OldFatDog (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi@OldFatDog ,

It wasn't you its the default which is to link to a folder which matches the Channel name. i.e. General by default.

This cannot be changed, the Files tab will always point to the folder with the same name as the channel in the "Documents" library in the SharePoint.

Hope that helps.

Andy

@Andrew Hodges That explains it. Thanks for the quick reply!

I moved all the folders into the "General" directory, effectively making "General" the root directory.

I realized that in this case, we don't really need another Team channel besides the "General" channel, so I deleted the new Teams channel I had created, too.

I fell victim to the temptation to create "micro-channels" within a team, which I can already see is not necessarily the best way to do things. Too much fragmentation can be worse than not enough.

Yeah having too many channels can be bad, but having a single channel can also be just as bad :). You have to figure out a good balance, but you can almost always have a handful to start with that are broad and common topics you discuss within a team.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by OldFatDog (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi@OldFatDog ,

It wasn't you its the default which is to link to a folder which matches the Channel name. i.e. General by default.

This cannot be changed, the Files tab will always point to the folder with the same name as the channel in the "Documents" library in the SharePoint.

Hope that helps.

Andy

View solution in original post