SOLVED

Help with App Permission Policies

Brass Contributor

Hi All,

We currently have our Global policy set to Allow all Microsoft Apps, block all 3rd party and custom apps.  Our assumption was that setting Allow all apps for Microsoft apps, "Teams apps published by Microsoft or its partners can be installed by your users" means that when the Publisher is Microsoft, Microsoft Corp. or Microsoft Corporation, the app would be available to all users to consume.

The issue is, we've recently (2 days ago) enabled the "Incoming Webhook", and it's not available for users to use.  Other apps such as Bing News, Azure Boards, Power BI, and Wikipedia Search are available.

Any ideas why it wouldn't be showing up?

Cheers

Rob

7 Replies

@RobD365 

So when users go to Apps within Teams, and search for Incoming Webhook, do they not see the option as below?

Screenshot 2020-07-13 at 06.46.44.png

Hi @PeterRising 

That's correct, just having it allowed, and all "Microsoft apps", and the app isn't available.

I've since added it as an allowed 3rd party app, however that's not what i was expecting to have to do.

Cheers

Rob

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@RobD365 

That's odd. If you have the App setup as below in Managed Apps..

Screenshot 2020-07-13 at 07.04.49.png

And your Microsoft apps are set as below in your Global Permission policy..

Screenshot 2020-07-13 at 07.05.06.png

Then you should't have any problems.  Maybe try creating a separate permission policy and assign a test user to it, and see if that sorts it.  If not, then I would suggest opening a ticket with Microsoft.

@PeterRising 

I'd allowed the "Incoming webhook" app, and our Global policy was as it is below (this is also how my own Tenant is configured, and it's working as expected)

RobD365_0-1594622642870.png

To make the webhooks app available, i had to set it to this

RobD365_1-1594622721197.png

The user who requested it mentioned he had to quit the Teams app before webhooks was visible, which reminded me of a similar problem when we were testing an actual 3rd party app, we had to quit Teams to make it show up.

We have a couple more Microsoft published apps that I'll be allowing in the next couple days, and have lined up some end users to test for me. Hopefully its as easy as waiting the 24 hours, and quitting teams to clear out any cached settings client side.  I'll also set up a test permission policy and add some of our test users into it as an extra check.

Cheers

R

@RobD365 

Ah yes, it can just be a case of waiting.  Things don't always happen quickly in Teams.  You definitely should not have had to enable it as a third-party app though.

Interesting, I've enabled a couple other Microsoft apps, one of my accounts, which has "Third party apps" set to allow all can see these newly enabled apps straight away, my normal account (and a random selection of users) can't ... i'll give it 24 hours and then see what Microsoft think.
Just an update ... its been a month, and we are still waiting on Microsoft to work out why the apps aren't available, thankfully it's not a high priority for us, but it may become one when the Lists app is released, it doesn't activate :\
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@RobD365 

That's odd. If you have the App setup as below in Managed Apps..

Screenshot 2020-07-13 at 07.04.49.png

And your Microsoft apps are set as below in your Global Permission policy..

Screenshot 2020-07-13 at 07.05.06.png

Then you should't have any problems.  Maybe try creating a separate permission policy and assign a test user to it, and see if that sorts it.  If not, then I would suggest opening a ticket with Microsoft.

View solution in original post