SOLVED

Folder created under Sharepoint can't be seen in Teams

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

I have the following situation:

I created a Group under Teams. A colleague created a folder under it via Sharepoint, that is, under the same group.

The folder cannot be seen in Teams but all the folders created via Teams can be seen in Sharepoint.

How can I see the folder in Teams?

Thanks,

Daniel 

12 Replies

@dmiranda When a folder is created on the root level of the SharePoint site it does not have a corresponding channel in the Team. You must create the folders within a "Channel Folder" in order for them to be visible from/in Teams.

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@dmiranda Hey! I've read about this "workaround" but have never tried it myself "you can make them show up (in Teams) by manually creating a channel in Teams with the EXACT same name". Let me know if it works!

Hopefully these issues with be solved when SPO and Teams fully reflect one another. Maybe when this completed and merged with similar requests! https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16934143-rename-of-team-channe...

Hello, I also confirm that creating a channel in Teams with the exact same name as the SP folder, does work. Thank you, this was very useful!

I tried this and it did not work. @tlc718 

This worked for me too, thanks for the workaround!
The 'workaround' of creating a channel in the MS Teams team with the exact same name as the folder in SharePoint worked for me. The folder content is all still there and now visible in teams channel. Thanks.

@dmiranda  This is a design error in the way Teams and SharePoint interact. Bad Microsoft, bad. We have to instruct everyone in our organization to share file ONLY through the Teams interface & tell everyone to beware of SharePoint interface because it contains a parent folder to the Teams/Channel that is ENTIRELY INVISIBLE to the Teams interface. Constantly people end up in the SharePoint interface for a specific Teams Channel, click the "Documents" link, and dump folders and files they want to share directly in to it, rightly thinking these should be visible to all the folks in my department through my departments Teams Channel. BUT NO, SherePoint / Sites / <team name> / Documents link - Is INVISIBLE TO <team name>. 

Hi there, do we have a permanent fix for this?

@ChristianBergstrom This works, you are an absolute lifesaver! 

@vinodkarne The folder isn't invisible, you just need to navigate back to it as you start in a channel folder. Within Teams use the breadcrumb to go to Documents and you will see all the SharePoint folders.

StevenCollier_0-1681307420504.png

@Steven Collier This only applies to the General channel and not to other channels. If you're in the Files tab of a channel and click Documents, you end up in the General/Documents folder and not in the "root" of the channel document library.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@dmiranda Hey! I've read about this "workaround" but have never tried it myself "you can make them show up (in Teams) by manually creating a channel in Teams with the EXACT same name". Let me know if it works!

Hopefully these issues with be solved when SPO and Teams fully reflect one another. Maybe when this completed and merged with similar requests! https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16934143-rename-of-team-channe...

View solution in original post