Deactivating/Deleting User - Impact on Teams?

Copper Contributor

What is the general process when employees leave with deactivation and deletion of users in terms of impact on teams?

The results of the teams search is ambiguous. In some cases deleted teams users are still found with name and profile picture, in other cases an anonymized profile is displayed, which is assigned to the former user. How can this behavior be explained? When users leave a company, it can be assumed that they also disappear from Teams.

I am aware of the retention period in Azure AD.

2 Replies
In general, during deletion of an account it's 30 days in the suspended state where it can be restored with all it's properties. After those 30 days it will be permanently deleted. You can force the deletion with no ability to restore the account.

When it comes to data retention and data category this is the process https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/compliance/assurance/assurance-data-retention-deletion-and-destruct...

For teams it's all about the caching being made by the Teams service itself. Such as general user information which is cached for up to three days, while the Teams desktop client can cache some data up to 28 days. Here you have to sign out manually and Quit the Teams client for a proper refresh.

Hi @ChristianJBergstrom 

If there are no retention policies in place (configured for SharePoint and Teams), what happens to disMEMBERED former employee's (user) or partner's (guest) message thread in Standard and Private channel messages, and the Files they shared? Will they vanish as well after some time, and when (days or months)? There's no easy-to-find and official Microsoft Docs reference for this.

I want to highlight that I'm not removing the user from Azure AD yet, but removing them only in Teams they are a part of.