Copying Teams Link Creates Multiple Separate Meetings

Copper Contributor

I created a recurring Teams meeting. I don't recall whether the meeting was created in Outlook or in Teams, however the link for the meeting is on both calendars. The meeting link is also copied and pasted onto an agenda. There are multiple external partners who attend this monthly meeting. This morning there were three separate meetings created from that link. I opened the meeting from my Teams calendar about 15 ahead of schedule and was alone. A few minutes before the start of the meeting I exited and joined the meeting from my Outlook calendar and discovered one of the presenters waiting in that meeting. I then entered the meeting using the link on the agenda and found most of the attendees waiting for me to start the meeting. I have seen similar problems posted here. What is the solution? Why is a meeting link not a meeting link?

10 Replies
Hello, surely this must have been a service error. The meeting link is the one meeting. And as long as that has been verified that they are/where identical you should open up a support ticket for further investigation. If you're not an admin reach out to him or her for assistance.

@ChristianJBergstrom Not sure what you mean by a service error This has happened to me before with a different meeting and a web search shows that others have encountered the same issue. I work for a large state agency. Getting this resolved through a service ticket is not likely to happen soon. I was hoping that someone in the Microsoft community would recognize thae problem and have a solution. Overall Teams has proven to be a challenge to use for meetings involving partners outside the agency.

I'm sorry to hear that. But how are you planning on finding a solution for something that must be (most likely at least) an error caused by a service degradation? A copy of a meeting link does not create additional separate meetings.

@mgradie I have this problem for every meeting I create in teams and it is driving me nuts because I can't figure out the solution.

Our teams meetings involve people from outside our organization. I can't add them to the relevant team because their organizational settings don't allow that. So I schedule a meeting in teams and add the person in organization who is responsible for creating the meeting invites (in apple calendar) and she copies and adds the link. The link in teams for the meeting leads to a different meeting than if I click the copied and pasted link in the calendar invite. This has been happening since we moved from (our much preferred) Zoom to teams because our meeting participant's organizations don't allow access to zoom. Any solutions gratefully received

@Menziemenzietta I am having the same issue.  Have you found a solution?

I had been able to create a meeting in Teams (8:45 am-Noon) and then copy and paste the link into different meeting invites so the presenters can join the meeting at their specified time (ie., 9-10a, 10-11a, 11a-Noon). 

I did this as recently as March.  Now, when I copy the link for the meeting into the presenters invites, it creates a new, separate teams link for each invite. 

No. I pretty much stopped using Teams and then I changed jobs.

@skleevy Did you ever find a solution for this? We also are having the issue as we gradually move all our meetings from Zoom to Teams. This morning everyone joined from the join button within Teams and still ended up in three different meetings.

Hi @AmandaNZ 

No we didn't. We realised that the person who sets the meeting has to be the person who sends the link and starts the meeting. It was very annoying and is one of a number of ways in which Teams is much clunkier and less user-friendly than Zoom (don't get me started) but unfortunately, our key clients are only able to access Teams through their work-provided devices.

Oh and I should add we tell people to use the link in the email we send not the link in their calendar invite. That seems to solve the problem
Interesting to see this issue pop up again. I have changed jobs again and am now using Teams intensively. I have had this problem occur once. Glad to see there is a workaround. We have a consultant from Microsoft that works with us. I may pose the question to him.