Can You Add Members To A Team And Not Generate The 'Welcome To / Intro To Teams' Email?

Brass Contributor

I'm creating a new Team and I have to add new user to this Team but I don't want that the users receive the welcome email.

correoprueba.png

had tried to disable this function with a rule filter in Exchange and with this command in PowerShell

Set-UnifiedGroup $groupName -UnifiedGroupWelcomeMessageEnabled:$false

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-unifiedGroup | Select-object -Property DisplayName, WelcomeMessageEnabled

DisplayName               WelcomeMessageEnabled
-----------               ---------------------
MyTeam                            False

But nothing of this works fine and the new users are receiving this emails.

How can I do it?

Regards

6 Replies

Hi @Juan Carlos González Martín, thanks for your reply.

The problem is that I have used this solution, but it doesn't work:

Set-UnifiedGroup MyTeam -UnifiedGroupWelcomeMessageEnabled:$false

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-unifiedGroup | Select-object -Property DisplayName, WelcomeMessageEnabled

DisplayName               WelcomeMessageEnabled
-----------               ---------------------
MyTeam                            False  

After this, when I add a new user, this user receive an invitations.

I don't know what can I do to solve this.

I have been speaking with Microsoft Teams Support and this is their reply:

hope my mail meets you well

Thank you for your response.

My understanding from the last mail sent by design it is not possible to restrict the email prompt gotten when a guest user is added to a team or channel, this was designed as a security measure to alert members of the teams just in the event of any security posing issues to the tenant/Organization.

@vcima 
I have found that, if you use PowerShell to add members to the Office 365 Group connected to the Team, it will not send an email...

Get-UnifiedGroup -Identity "<Group Name>" | Add-UnifiedGroupLinks -LinkType Members -Links <emailofmember>

To describe the welcome email as horrible would be a compliment, it is far worse than horrible.
And to compound the issue, via powershell you need to disable it per team, you can't disable it globally.
So if we move to creating teams via PS and disabling the message, you would think you could then use a Power Automate or a logic app to send a more suitable and branded welcome email, but no, it isn't that easy because the "When a new member is added" flow is also designed for targeting a specific team.
User Voice is gone....how do we get the message through to MS that we want better options around the new member welcome email?

@AengusM 

User voice has been replaced with the MS Feedback Forum, here is the one for Teams: https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/forum/ad198462-1c1c-ec11-b6e7-0022481f8472

I have  submitted a request to allow a custom template or at least custom HTML text to be included in the welcome email. Feel free to vote on it: https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/3f16092f-4a29-ed11-a81b-6045bd7d68ae

Just to confirm, this works great as no Teams notification is sent. Definitely agree that MS needs to make a change so these types of notifications can easily be disabled or customized.

Thanks for the tip!