SOLVED

Blur Background on Mac OS

Copper Contributor

I am using a Macbook Pro to work remotely.  The blur background feature is helpful, but it appears to be absent in Teams for Mac.  I noticed the blur feature support page says it's not available on Linux yet but does not mention Mac.

I was quite sure they said Mac support was coming at last or the previous year MS Ignite conference.  Am I missing something?

I've tried with my internal Macbook camera and an external logitech, neither of which seem to work.  I have also downloaded the latest release of Teams for Mac.

If this is supposed to be available, what am I missing?

Thanks!

51 Replies

@doug4772 I can't find a way to blur the background through the interface. However, the keyboard shortcut does work: Cmd-Shift-P

@nachotronics it helps a lot, actually. Thanks, it works!

@Grandswiss 

I have same issue on my Mac(iMac 2020(27inch).
My Mac support AVX/AVX2.
------------------------------------------

% sysctl -a | grep machdep.cpu.feature

machdep.cpu.feature_bits: 9221960262849657855

machdep.cpu.features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM PBE SSE3 PCLMULQDQ DTES64 MON DSCPL VMX SMX EST TM2 SSSE3 FMA CX16 TPR PDCM SSE4.1 SSE4.2 x2APIC MOVBE POPCNT AES PCID XSAVE OSXSAVE SEGLIM64 TSCTMR AVX1.0 RDRAND F16C

% sysctl -a | grep machdep.cpu.leaf7_features

machdep.cpu.leaf7_features: RDWRFSGS TSC_THREAD_OFFSET SGX BMI1 AVX2 SMEP BMI2 ERMS INVPCID FPU_CSDS MPX RDSEED ADX SMAP CLFSOPT IPT SGXLC MDCLEAR IBRS STIBP L1DF ACAPMSR SSBD

But, I can't select background.
My issue capture is here.
Please let me know any idea.

スクリーンショット 2020-10-06 10.05.20.png

@tate4771_ski 

To test it on my Teams version (1.3.00.23764), I did the following:

- In the bar on the left hand side, click on "Calendar"

- In the top row, click on "Meet now" (just to the left of "+New meeting")

- Now activate the camera; you should see yourself.

- On my screen, between the camera on/off button and the mute on/off button there is the "background effects" on/off button.

This works now even on my MacBook Pro, where "sysctl -a | grep -i avx2" returns "hw_optional.avx2_0: 0". Hope this helps.

@Grandswiss 

Thank you for your message.

But, I can't find "Background effect".

My capture is here.

% sysctl -a | grep -i avx2

hw.optional.avx2_0: 1

@tate4771_ski 

スクリーンショット 2020-10-07 22.20.16.png

If I look at your screen shot, you have the button for "background effects" (I circled it red).

What happens, if you disable/enable the "background effect" (middle) button?

What happens if you disable/enable the "camera" (left) button?

@Grandswiss 

Thank you for your comments.

I have "Camera" & "Background effect".

"Camera" and "Background effect" is on.

But, I can't select menu for Background effect.

My capture of right side.

@tate4771_ski 

The main discussion in this thread so far was: "do background effects work on older machines with only AVX1.0?". Formerly, this was not possible, but Microsoft enabled this featute now even for older Macs. As you have the "background effect" button, it seems you have another issue.

Seems to me like some problems with your installation or perhaps wrong permissions. I would try to deinstall and reinstall Teams.

Sorry, I can't support more in your case.

@Grandswiss 

Thanks.
I understood. My issue is other issue.

@doug4772 Same issue on a Macbook Air M1 Big Sur end-2020. All the buttons are here, but when the Background effects side bar opens, it's empty, so I cannot choose anything!

Reading this thread, I found a user suggesting to use Ctrl-Shift-P on PC. I tried the equivalent on Mac, Cmd-Shift-P: it works!

@ericsar, you should remove the space between ’-’ and ’a’.

Thank you! I am using an M1 24 inch iMac, Monterey 12.4 and latest version of Teams. Runs AVX2.0 etc. Absolutely no sign of backgrounds until I sued your tip. Worked first time.