SOLVED

After Windows 11 upgrade Bluetooth audio not working only with teams

Copper Contributor

After upgrading to Windows 11, My Bluetooth headphones work great. However, when I open or go to a Teams meeting the headphones drop out. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Teams, same issue. I have tried troubleshooting sound, same issue. Everything worked perfect in Windows10. 

24 Replies

@Ray_Wilkinsonrawilkin 

Same situation.  Any bluetooth audio device will drop out upon making a teams call or joining a teams meeting.  Fun times!  I've spent probably 8 hours of reading/troubleshooting with no results.

Same issue, only way to get it to work over bluetooth is to use the mic and speakers on my bluetooth headphones, which reduces quality. What I want to do is use a different microphone with the bluetooth headphones as the speaker, but that does not work.
Hello, I got this message, the Open Form action was cancelled, somebody can help me with this??
Same here, been struggling with this on and off since November.
best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)

@nathanjfield This did not work for me with my JBL bluetooth speaker, but thanks for the suggestion. 

Thank you for this! This totally resolved my issue!

@Ray_Wilkinsonrawilkin 

After doing a little testing, I found that the bluetooth speaker problem is related to the desktop version of Teams.  When I logged on to Teams through the web at office.com. There was no problem with the speaker.  I suspect that the desktop app problem will resolve with the next Teams update. (fingers crossed). 

@nathanjfieldyour post gave me some hope, since I already returned my headset to service and got a replacement. But when I tried this fix, I lost the possibility of selecting and using my headset in web Teams. I hope there will be some other solution soon.

Actually, on my side so far, I faced this issue of dropping headset during the Teams call only in web/Chrome Teams.
The issue is with the desktop version. The web version is fine. I am hoping they’ll put out a patch in the next update.

@nathanjfield 

Additionally to this instruction I had to change the Spatial sound Type. Just change the selection from Off to Windows Sonic for Headphones or vise versa (!)  

It doesn't mean that headphones works only with the particular Spatial sound Type, there is enough just to switch between them. The another interesting thing is, that after I do that change in Spatial sound Type first time and headset works in the particular Teams meating, I am able to switch between those both Types (Off or Windows Sonic.......) without any impact on headset work.

System -> Sound -> Particular Headset -> Spatial sound: Type (droplist)

Sometimes I have to repeat this step.

So in my case, after trying all the unpairing repairing, shutting down Teams and re-open etc..., finally I ended up making it work this way:

- Open Control Panel

- Open Devices and Printer

- Double click the headset to open the <Bluetooth headset> properties

- Go to tab Services

- Uncheck everything except Handsfree Telephony (in my case: Audio Sink, Remote Control, Remotely Controllable Device)

- Apply and close. 

Works perfectly now.  Looks like Teams "was thinking too hard" about this, and paring it down to the basic functionality gave it no choice.

I am having the same issue since back in November or so...
I have tried the below fix and all that did was remove the Bluetooth headset mic from the list of available mic's in the Device Settings within Teams. That is not a fix.

This is an issue with 3 different headsets, Sony WH-1000, Bose SoundSport, and most importantly for meetings is the Poly Voyager 5200. All worked fine before the update, none of them work now, only in Teams Desktop. All work fine in any other meeting software on the same computer. Teams on Android it works fine, but that is a pain when in a meeting and having to join on 2 devices or do the call me so I can do desktop sharing.
Most likely this did not fix the issue, like in my case, but just removes the mic from the devices in Teams. You are most likely using your laptop or computer mic, not the mic in the headset. So now when you connect you headset connects for sound, but since the mic on the headset is disabled for hands free, Teams just defaults to your system mic.
same issue, but with Poly voyager headset.
a pain in the backside
This works perfectly under Windows 10 with no modifications on the same computer. However, the below is my experience on Windows 11.

Bought a Rode XDM-100 USB-C mic and ever since Teams and only Teams fails to produce audio nor pickup and any audio via the mic. The Rode XDM-100 is treated as an input/output audio device by Windows with no special software need. I say 'output' because the mic has a3.5 mm monitor port for your wired headphones. Unplug the mic and everything works fine with my Sony XM5 in Teams.

I spent an entire weekend of my life troubleshooting this issue and discovered that Windows 11 is doing some Pixy Dust magic in the background. Because in the past most users (accord to Microsoft), were confused as to which device they should select for Headphones (Stereo) or Headphones (Handsfree). So, under Windows 11 they make those decisions and handle the selection for you. Teams is taking advantage of that control in Windows 11 and therefore it does not consider other audio devices perse.

I have played around with setting my preferred devices for speaker and mic both in Teams and at the system level and none of them work. Microsoft does not necessarily need to revert back to how Windows 10 handle this because understand why they did this in Windows 11 for the novice user, but they need to allow experts or more knowledge users have this control and not force the hand if we decide that we do not want Windows 11 to dictate.

My solution was to simply disable Hands-free Telephony under my Sony XM5. I just lose the ability to pause music from my smartphone when I have a Teams or Zoom call, and when the call ends resume music play.
In my case, disabling Audio Sink fixes the issue; I can leave everything else checked.
Not ideal as Audio Sink needs to be enabled to player higher quality audio when listening to music. Works as a workaround for the time being, though.
Did you find a solution for your issue? I'm still having the same one.

The issue was introduced with Windows 11 Update 22H2. By the looks of things updated Bluetooth drivers for Intel chipsets have fixed the issue, but my Notebook has a Qualcomm chipset, which still has this issue. More than 6 month after the update release.

The solution from deanBEAN (deactivate Audio Sink) is not working for me. The headset/phone can no longer be selected as output device.

The solution from NVader2000 deactivates the top notch microphone of my Jabra headset. Also not a working solution for me.

Currently I need to rollback the Windows Update. This is the only solution that works for me.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions