SOLVED

Ability to edit posts expires? No setting for this?

Brass Contributor

It appears to us that posts/messages in Teams conversations are only editable for some time window. After that time it appears that you are being allowed to edit the message, but the edit will not save when the checkmark is selected. 

If the message is edited immediately after posting, it all works fine. 

I can find the admin setting to turn on/off editing but nothing about an "edit expiration" window, nor can I find any info on this. 

Is this intended design function? Or is this an edit bug? 

4 Replies

I believe it's by design, but I cannot find any document that states it. This thread from an AMA 3 years ago mentions a 24h window for edit: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams-AMA/Edit-previous-message/m-p/28830

For the record, this seems to only apply to channel messages. For private chats I was able to edit an year old one with no issues.

The only thing that should time out to my knowledge is undelete. Editing should still work. I just edited multiple messages in Teams conversations from awhile back. I even went as far as connecting as a guest in another one of my tenants and made an edit and it took and that post was over a year old. 

@ComotoJC this should work. Have you tried it via Web client to see if it's not a typical desktop client caching issue? 

best response confirmed by ComotoJC (Brass Contributor)
Solution

You might be right Chris, it does look like a cache issue. Easy to reproduce in the web client - I can make a change to older message and I observe the exact same behavior as described by @ComotoJC. However, if I refresh the page, the changes are reflected.

I'll file a bug.

@Vasil Michev 

Wow thanks for the diagnosis! Much appreciated.  I’ll just hope the fix trickles through sooner than later!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ComotoJC (Brass Contributor)
Solution

You might be right Chris, it does look like a cache issue. Easy to reproduce in the web client - I can make a change to older message and I observe the exact same behavior as described by @ComotoJC. However, if I refresh the page, the changes are reflected.

I'll file a bug.

View solution in original post