SOLVED

Bitlocker Intune question

Copper Contributor

Hi

I have manage to enable bitlocker on my autopilot device and it is shown that protection is on. But when I try to copy file from the document folder to an external usb I can open this file on another computer.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

what i am missing ? 

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Max_Stein (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @Krishanthad 

Bitlocker works at the drive level, not individual folder level. Copying a file to a non-bitlocker drive will copy an unencrypted copy of it which means it can be opened.

The idea of Bitlocker is that if your laptop is or hard disk is stolen, the contents cannot be read by someone plugging it into another computer and attempting to browse - they would need to unlock it first. 

To encrypt specific files/folders, you would need to leverage Encrypted File Services (EFS) 

Thanks @HidMov 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Max_Stein (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @Krishanthad 

Bitlocker works at the drive level, not individual folder level. Copying a file to a non-bitlocker drive will copy an unencrypted copy of it which means it can be opened.

The idea of Bitlocker is that if your laptop is or hard disk is stolen, the contents cannot be read by someone plugging it into another computer and attempting to browse - they would need to unlock it first. 

To encrypt specific files/folders, you would need to leverage Encrypted File Services (EFS) 

View solution in original post