random and shuffle questions

Copper Contributor

I have a 100-question and want the quiz to select randomly 20 question of it, how can I do this?

8 Replies

@RiyadhHaj it's not possible for a certain number of questions to be selected randomly on Forms.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@RobElliott Is there any microsoft product that could do this function at all?  I could do with something that will choose x amount of questions from a bank.  I don't need answers because the questions will be then printed off to be used in a job interview situation, and the interviewer will be writing the answers down.

@GaryRodgers thinking about this a bit more, although Forms can't display a random set of questions from a bank, it would be possible if you forget using Forms and instead store the questions in a SharePoint list or an excel spreadsheet (though I prefer lists). A flow in Power Automate could then run and select 20 questions randomly from the list. I've only ever done it with selecting a single item from a list - we have it on our intranet homepage to display one randomly-selected country each day from 256. But I'm sure it could be expanded to select 20 items. I'll have a further think and post again as soon as possible. 

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

OK, so I have something very close to what I want but this is only working on desktop versions of excel and word. I have a bank of quesitons in a spreadsheet, using the rank variable to rank quesitons, then vlookup to pull in random 5 questions.
Then in a word doc, I have copied the resulting random question and "special paste" as Paste Link (HTML Format). Each time the Word document is opened, it pulls in different random questions from the spreadsheet. Although this doesn't work when I place these docs in OneDrive, I'm guessing word and excel don't have the same funtionality as the desktop versions.
My aim, when I have created this, is to give access to managers who can use the questions when they are interviewing for jobs. Ideally so they can be printed off Iwhich is why I went for Word)

I hope all this makes sense, I've just been playing around and following some youtube videos so far. I'm not fully acquainted with Power Automate, and my organisation has not yet rolled out functionaltiy of Sharepoint so I can't use lists. Though I do have Microsoft Lists, don't know if this is the same thing or not.

@GaryRodgers yes Microsoft Lists is the same as SharePoint lists, just a more standalone version. If you ever get Power Apps it is easy to shuffle questions  from a spreadsheeet or list as Power Apps has a Shuffle function.

Rob
Los Gallardos

Strangely enough I now have Power Apps. Our IT dept must have rolled it our over the weekend and I've been having a look. So far all I have managed to do is place a button on the screen and somehow "import" my spreadsheet which has a table of questions. I've no idea how to connect the two or make it choose a random set of questions from the bank and output them to a Word doc or Form.
Please make this feature available

That is awesome. Can you show me how to do it? @RobElliott