Microsoft Forms - Help with forwarding

Copper Contributor

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone could please provide a clear step by step guide.

The intention is to have a form ive created be sent to a dedicated email address without it notifying my own email address each time a response is created.

I'll ballpoint

• Form to email a particular email address not any others including my own which created the form
  • The subject of the email to reflect the label of the incident that occurred

What i have done is used flow email forward v3 however because i created the form all it is doing is sending me the link for the response and another follow-up email to unsubscribe to it.

I don't want the responses notifying me and don't want it to send another email asking if i desire to unsubscribe.

Ideal flow:

Form is filled out -> sends a notification to designated email (not my own) 

thanks in advance!!!!!!!!

9 Replies

@h0m1ez ok for this example we've got a simple incident report form:

form-completed.png

The settings are just as follows:

form-settings.png

Open Power Automate, go to My Flows then click New and select Instant - from blank. Click Skip on the next page.

For the trigger select the Forms trigger "When a new response is submitted". Select your form from the dropdown.

Next add the Forms action "Get response details". Again select the form from the dropdown. Click in the Response ID field and from the dynamic content box that opens on the right of the screen select the only item that's there which is Response Id.

flow1.png

The next step, the Compose control is only needed if you want to change the format of the date the incident took place. Forms will save it as 2020-10-28 but I want it in UK format 28/10/2020. So add a Compose action, click in the Inputs field and the dynamic content box will appear on the right. Click on the Expression tab. IN the field start typing format and select formatDateTime then add a open bracket/parenthesis ( and the closing one will be added automatically. Click the Dynamic Content tab and select the question that holds the date. Then add a comma, then add the format you want inside single quotes making sure you use capital MM for the month. So the expression will end up looking like this:

formatDateTime(outputs('Get_response_details')?['body/r819c65969b864928ad05076aab7e62a1'], 'dd/MM/yyyy')

Compose.png

Finally add a Send an email (v2) action. This will send the email from you but it can go to any address. In this example I've sent it to a shared mailbox in my company. For the subject you can select the incident question from the dynamic content box. Then add in the text and the questions. Open the advanced options at the bottom of the email, and change the importance to Normal or High. Annoyingly it defaults to Low.

flow2.png

The when someone submits the form it will send the email to that email address but not to your inbox.

email.png

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

@RobElliott Thank you for providing me that information i sincerely appreciate the time you took to help me out. 

I've noticed that i am unable to forward the email to an outside source such as ****@bigpond.com would i need to add that email address to my organization sorry if i am sounding like a newb i do pick up things fast and fairly new to business 365.

Again i do genuinely appreciate the assistance you've provided as it benefits those with mental health disabilities. (i provide mental health support)

***UPDATE***

@RobElliott I figured it out. woohoo!! again thankyou mate for the assistance!!!

@RobElliott I have a similar question.

I am an online teacher.

I need to create one universal form for teacher conferences. I want to open the form and fill it out while talking with the parent. I want to be able to enter the unique information and then parent email address for the completed form to out to.

The same form will be used multiple times.  Each time it is completed for an individual parent, only that parent receives the completed form for them.  I also receive a copy for my records. Each completed form must remain private for each parent.

I have seen other forms created where the person fills out a form, there are places where email can be inputted and a copy of the completed form goes to those email addresses. My intention is to have a place to input the parent's email address so a copy can go to that parent (parent) as well as to the creator (teacher).

I tried to follow the instructions you gave above but they didn't seem to work for my goals. If you any any other suggestions please let me know.

Below is the form I created but can't use since I can't figure out how to complete this process.  Any suggestions?  Am I using the right platform/application?

parent confernce image.JPG

@martazayas OK could you just let me know who is completing that form, is the parent or the teacher? Once I know that I can give you a solution.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@RobElliott I am the teacher. I make the form. I want to open it and fill it out as I talk with parents. I want to input the parent's email address so when I finish completing the form it goes to the parent I was talking to.

I am so happy you responded. I've been dredging through the web for an answer and have no clue. But I see other people creating a form where there is a blank space that when you fill it out with an email address the completed form goes to that address.  

I've seen where there can even be multiple blanks to be filled in with email addresses so that completed form can go to various people.

@RobElliott

Here is a visual that might help.
Basically I want to write a question where I will input an email, and when the form is filled out by me it will be sent to the email I put in the blank.

flow chart.JPG

@martazayas I think I can help you with this.

The first two steps of the Power Automate (PA) flow are the same as shown above: 

• Step 1:  Add "When a new reponse is submitted" from the FORMS connector.  (Select your form.)
  • Step 2:  Add "Get response details" from the FORMS connector.  (Select "ResponseID".)

The second step above is important, as it will gather all the form details and the form responses, and allow you to use that information in the flow's third step.

• Step 3:  Add "Send an email (V2)" from the OUTLOOK connector.

Fill in the email details for Step 3:  

1. Enter your email address in the "To" field so you'll get a copy of the email for your records.  Enter a semi-colon ( ; ) after your email address, and click the mouse cursor right after the semi-colon.
  2. Now, look for and select the link that reads, "Add dynamic content".  It should appear below and to the right of the "To" textbox.  This opens a new form that contains a list of all your form's questions, and other form properties such as the name of the person (respondent) who completed the form, the date and time it was submitted, etc..
  3. Under "Get response details", find your Parent Email question item in that list.  Select that item to add the Parent email onto the TO line.  Now when the form is submitted, the form will be sent to both your email and the parent's email.
  4. Complete the rest of the email (v2) form.
  5. Make sure you add the remaining form questions and corresponding question items to the BODY of your email message, otherwise you'll be sending a blank email.  For example, you might type "Student Name: " and then add the student name question item beside or below that.  In the same manner, continue adding the remaining questions until all your form questions are in the BODY of the email message.  TIP:  Be sure to add your own space between the text you type and the question item that represents the answer entered on your form.
  6. Be sure to click SAVE when you are finished.  It's also a good to test your form and PA flow.

As the form creator/owner, the form responses will automatically be sent from your email account.  You may also want to look under the advanced options to change other properties of the email, such as the email Importance.  Unfortunately, the default importance of the email is set to "Low".

Hope that helps.

@h0m1ez could you share how you resolved automating the emails to people outside of your organization? 

@JWEHG1580 Exchange has a setting to allow (or not) the sending of emails outside the organization so you need to check this with your IT Admins. https://www.codetwo.com/admins-blog/how-to-prevent-office-365-users-from-sending-emails-outside-orga...