Deleting Forms Responses >300

Copper Contributor

One of our respondents wants their response data removed from one of our forms; they're response #721, and we can only see the first 300 responses online.  The form was created on the Forms website, so we can't delete a single result from Excel, since the workbook isn't linked to anything.

Is there any way to remove a response greater than 300 from this kind of form?

18 Replies

I am in the exact same scenario. We are going to have over 2500 responses and they can only complete it once. Users are not see all the questions and submitting without completing the complete survey so we need to be able to delete response so user can complete again.

I am in the same boat; if Microsoft expects people to take the forms option seriously there needs to be a way to edit large groups of data!

I'm tired of needing to use the more mature Google Forms because Microsoft built an incomplete program!

Hi,

can someone tell me if there Is a way to delete form responses?

Thanks,

Sru

If you would like to edit or delete responses 1-300, you can easily do so by...

1. going to your Form

2. "Responses" tab

3. View Results

4. Choose the response you'd like to change from the drop-down

3. Click the 3 dots (. . .) on the bottom right of the greyed response area

4. "Delete Response" 

responses delete.PNGresponses delete2.PNG

If you'd like to edit responses 300+, you're screwed. I've talked with Microsoft Support and as of right now (Aug 2018) you cannot edit response data over 300 submissions. 

You can make an online Excel doc and have your form dump the data into the Excel doc, and that works okay. 

My experience of this is that it deletes the response from the form, but doesn't actually delete the data. After deleting responses, I currently have 144 in the form, yet 163 if I 'Open In Excel'. Any ideas?

Are there any news about this feature?

Is there any way to delete responses after the 300th in forms?

Thanks!

When I contacted Microsoft Support on this issue, they said that the program was "functioning correctly" and that if I wanted to see something changed, a program feature request could be submitted. I believe Microsoft uses a platform called "uservoice" for customers voting on issues like this. 

This doesn't work for entries greater than 300. @Brett Citrowske 

@Brett CitrowskeIs there any way to delete more than one response with one click?

If I want to keep the results from a group and share the Form newly emptied for another group?

Thanks

@OLalonde Hi, 

You can download the previous responses into excel or create a summary link, then you can select Delete All Responses from the three button menu on the responses tab.

Craig_Walker_0-1587718800676.png

As far as I am aware the options are delete one or delete all currently.

@Ian Rarity 

It’s disappointing that this hasn’t been improved up to now.

Please vote:

https://microsoftforms.uservoice.com/forums/386451-welcome-to-microsoft-forms-suggestion-box/suggest...

What I discovered if it could help somebody:

1) When you use Group Forms, the Excel file with results is uploaded in SharePoint:

• If you delete the answer from Forms, the number of answers decrease but it doesn’t delete it from the Excel file.
  • If you delete the answer from Excel, it doesn’t delete it from Forms and the number of answers doesn’t decrease.
  • If you delete the Excel file, it breaks the system.
  • I cannot find a way to regenerate or update the Excel file.

2) When you use My Forms, each time you click on Show Results, a new Excel file is generated.

Do you know a way to go to the form, from the Excel file?

To go from Excel to your form you need to navigate to insert > forms > there will be a drop down arrow > Select Preview or Edit

Oh my, I didn't know this was not possible.

This means, Microsoft, that FORMS IS NOT GDPR COMPLIANT!!!

We are unable to delete all person related data if someone requests for that.

Keep my fingers crossed this will not be the case before Microsoft fixes this.

@BusyIntelligence @Ian Rarity assuming Forms in your tenant is working the same as mine you CAN delete individual responses, even ones with an ID into the high hundreds or thousands. In the attached video of the process I selected record 721 out of 959 for deletion:

1. In the Responses tab click on Open in Excel and get the ID number of the response you want to delete;
  2. Then back in the Responses tab click on the View results button;
  3. The first response will be shown. Type the ID number you want to delete then click the tab key on your keyboard to load that response.
  4. Over on the right of the response click the 3 dots and select Delete response. You will see a confirmation screen warning you that the response will be permanently deleted. The response will be deleted in both the Responses page AND in the underlying spreadsheet. So next time you click on Open in Excel the responses will not be there as shown in the image below where response ID 721 has been deleted:

721deleted.png

OK this doesn't help with deleting multiple responses but it does allow you delete any response that has come in and remain GDPR-compliant.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

Thank you @RobElliott. Great to post the video with your tip. I didn't know that and will help for sure.

I will test it with Forms Pro to check if the response is also deleted from the CDS environment.

If that's the case, it will do.

Kind regards,

Maurits

Is there a way to remove part of a record ie blank out particular fields? For example if it's a survey with a prize draw, and email address is collected, then the participant decides that they don't want that stored, we'd like to blank that out without losing their survey responses.

Thank you!

@Brett Citrowske Worked for me in 2023... thanks..