SOLVED

Custom Automatic Email Responses in Forms using Flow

Copper Contributor

I've created a Form and want to use Flow to send a customized, automatic email response to the email address the user provides in one of the Form fields. I am too unfamiliar with Flow to know how to do this, and the question is too specific to find a readily available solution elsewhere.

I started with a Flow template titled "Send an email to responder when response submitted in Microsoft Forms" but this template assumes the respondent is signed in with an Outlook account, and I don't know how to modify it to send the automatic email to an address from the respondent's input instead.

4 Replies

@awoodward0009 

You will have to add the condition to include the filed that contains the email address.  You will be able to find it using the dynamic content.. just search for the field name

best response confirmed by awoodward0009 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @awoodward0009 

Hope you are well.

The template you are using doesn't assume the responder is using Outlook, it's using your Outlook account to send the email to them. They can receive the email as they would any email so this will work fine.

Just some observations to consider (excuse them if already done). 

1. The trigger (When a new response is submitted) appears to not have the form selected. If this is indeed the case, you'll need to make sure you have picked the correct form first.

2. Under Get response details you appear to also need to select the correct form which will then give you the Response ID and further down give you access to the dynamic content to use.

3. Can I confirm please if the form is for Organisation only or allow anyone with the link?

If it's organisation only, you can use the Responders email in dynamic content to automatically source the right email to send to which means you would not need the condition at all.

If it's allow all (I suspect this might be the case from your flow), then make sure the Email question is mandatory so you can force someone to enter a value.  

4. Not sure that you need a Condition as the email should be sent based on what the responder has provided. You could just have Send an email (V2) moved under get response details and remove the condition to keep things simple.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Cheers and best wishes

Damien

Thank you @Damien Rosario 

The fix was as simple as you suggested. I was using an Organization Only method at first, but encountered an issue where some respondents did not have the permission to view the Form, and so I changed it to an Anyone Can Access Form as a workaround, which required a slight modification of the Flow template I was using. The only change needed was to alter the To: section of the email to be the required email address field, which I found in the Dynamic Content section. Your thorough response is greatly appreciated!

Happy to help @awoodward0009

Best wishes with your initiatives!

Cheers

Damien 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by awoodward0009 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @awoodward0009 

Hope you are well.

The template you are using doesn't assume the responder is using Outlook, it's using your Outlook account to send the email to them. They can receive the email as they would any email so this will work fine.

Just some observations to consider (excuse them if already done). 

1. The trigger (When a new response is submitted) appears to not have the form selected. If this is indeed the case, you'll need to make sure you have picked the correct form first.

2. Under Get response details you appear to also need to select the correct form which will then give you the Response ID and further down give you access to the dynamic content to use.

3. Can I confirm please if the form is for Organisation only or allow anyone with the link?

If it's organisation only, you can use the Responders email in dynamic content to automatically source the right email to send to which means you would not need the condition at all.

If it's allow all (I suspect this might be the case from your flow), then make sure the Email question is mandatory so you can force someone to enter a value.  

4. Not sure that you need a Condition as the email should be sent based on what the responder has provided. You could just have Send an email (V2) moved under get response details and remove the condition to keep things simple.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Cheers and best wishes

Damien

View solution in original post