SOLVED

Sync external OneDrive shared folders

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I have shared a folder from my OneDrive (for business) to an external user (external organization). He has also an O365 E3 subscription. When he click on the invitation email, he sees correctly the content of my folder and can edit any document. But on the toolbar there is no "sync" button to let him synchronize my folder on his computer. How can I enable this feature ?

Thanks for your help,

Antoine

92 Replies
Hello,

I'd like to as well (to remove Dropbox as we are currently using it). Is there a uservoice ticket already created ?

Thanks.
Antoine

Instructions are nice but where is this working? We currently have shares with a few tenants and a couple users have successfully linked in OneDrive but others don't even show the buttons in the toolbar to Sync or Add. Possible that the other tenants do not have the proper settings in place, possible they manually created the guest accounts for the couple that are working?

Bottom line - the lightweight hacks over at DropBox are making Microsoft look like chumps. GET THIS FIGURED OUT!

@Stephen Rice Any news on an update about syncing external folders to OneDrive?

@Stephen Rice We're now 2021, is this feature available now?

If you enable B2BSync yes it woks fine. Both with Sharepoint document libraries (and Teams)  as well as OneDrive shared folders...

Intermittent would be the best way to describe it at this point. Our experience is that between the same tenants we find it works fine for user A, then user B might have to view it in Classic to see the sync, then user C might need some sort of ID reset in the source tenant to get it to go, etc.. No consistency even between the same two tenants. So while rollout may have been an issue early on wherein some tenants had the feature and others did not, that should no longer be the case and even if it were, the example above is within a 2 tenant test group where the feature must already exist. Although I suppose there could be a single tenant difference between MS datacenters?

IDK, as @yvesvg stated - it's 2021. The simpletons over at DropBox are still kicking the mighty Microsoft. People are losing their jobs trying to pull Microsoft dead weight - fix it or we will have to recommend Google Drive.

@Antoine HESKIA Thanks, the link https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/b2b-sync helped me set it up after creating a guest account on the Azure admin panel.

any updates on this? I have three sharepoint sites and one drive folder that have been shared with me from external orgs. How can I bring them in to my Onedrive so I don't have to hunt down the shared link in my email every time? Google Drive does this, DropBox does this.
The answer (if it works) is the sync button in whatever shared with you site you want to appear in OneDrive. The issue is it doesn't always present the sync button or work across tenants.
Here's another "feature fail" - may take this to a new topic. According to MS documentation and confirmed with MS support - OneDrive fB does not encrypt cache on your PC/devices. It blocks encryption if the drive is encrypted. MS docs state encryption at rest but read closely - this is talking about their cloud, not your PC. Anyone tested trying to access data on a drive? Haven't had time to go through the steps. OneDrive Personal now has an encrypted locker feature but OneDrive Personal is a completely different technology that only shares a name.
So, when I sign in to a shared OneDrive or Sharepoint website, there *might* be a Sync button that I can click on to sync that folder/page to my OneDrive? Where should that button be? I'm guessing it is not available to me. I have had success joining as a guest for the other institution and then I can sync.
Yes, see my earlier reply. We had systems where the guest accounts had to be reset on the hosting tenant and sometimes we would only see the sync button if we were in Classic view of the shared site.