MS Forms & Excel Data Storage

Copper Contributor

I have created a form in MS Forms, the responses are being collected successfully. 

However when I want to view the data in Excel, it prompts me to create a new file each time.  

How can I store the data in a "static" file location?  Essentially point forms to an excel location where the responses build over time.  

Google Forms does this automatically.  MS Forms is basically a carbon copy of Google Forms, minus this simple functionality.  

What do you suggest I do? 

2 Replies

Hey @JoshLynch_Lucid

I think there is some confusion here in regards to how you are using the forms. First off, when you create a form and share its link out, any responses which people mark are collected in the same excel file on office 365 end.

Its just that when you want to see the responses in excel it downloads a new file with updated responses. 

forms1.JPG

Notice the icon to open in excel, It doesn't have a cloud next to it, that means that the form is not being stored in onedrive/Sharepoint, when you click it, it does download an excel sheet every time since it is not stored in sharepoint, Microsoft probably did it to remove the dependency of having onedrive/sharepoint license to use forms.

If you would like to have the responses stored in a file in sharepoint/Onedrive, you can very well do that. First create an excel file in sharepoint/one drive, now from within the file , click insert and choose form:

forms2.JPG

Create your form from here, now when you receive responses they will be stored in the same excel file in sharepoint/onedrive:

forms3.JPG

Thanks

Hi@harveer singh 

with regards to JoshLynch  Lucid's post about using forms through Excel so that the responses come back to the same location, I have a number of forms already created. Can these be linked once I go through Excel or will I have to retype them? I have about 30 at this stage. thanks