SOLVED

mixing o365 business premium and Exchange Online Plan 2 possible?

Steel Contributor

can we buy o365 business premium and Exchange Online Plan 2, assign o365 business premium license to user 1 with Exchange license off then assign Exchange Online Plan 2 to user 1?

need to take advantage of unlimited archiving in EXO plan 2

tnx

15 Replies
Why not just buy Enterprise E3?

@Marvin Oco wrote:

can we buy o365 business premium and Exchange Online Plan 2, assign o365 business premium license to user 1 with Exchange license off then assign Exchange Online Plan 2 to user 1?

need to take advantage of unlimited archiving in EXO plan 2

tnx

best response confirmed by Marvin Oco (Steel Contributor)
Solution

Yes Marvin you can.

Thanks

Robin Nishad

Yes, you can absolutely do that setup
Now if you have a user with a Business Standard license and a Exchange Online (Plan 2) for more storage, but want to remove Business Standard, and replace it with Business Premium... without removing Exchange Online (Plan 2) what is the best way to do this? I get a licensing conflict: "You can't assign licenses that contain these conflicting services: Exchange Online (Plan 2), Exchange Online (Plan 1). Review the services included with each license, and try again."
you need to turn off exchange plan 1 before assigning plan 2
So glad I found your post. Been struggling with this for 30min and forgot to untick Exchange Plan 1.....
How / where do you Untick Exchange Plan1 ?

I don't want to loose users email account !
When changing plan I was told to apply a New License FIRST and for an hour or two before removing old plan. Alsways followed that

@Chriss60 don't forget Premium has Online Archive feature included which can be used to store older email, thus keeping the main inbox under  50GB

Just want to add something that might help people. When I tried to add EXO P2 for a Business Standard user, I got the same error as philhorst1980. The EXO P1 plan was not ticked under licenses, but my MS partner guided me to scroll down all the way to the bottom there's a section called Apps, and if you expand that there is another entry for EXO P1 tied to Business Standard that is ticked. I unticked that and then it allowed me to apply the P2 licenses.

@DavidHarrison 

A question I'm trying to figure out. What happens when you untick EOP1 on the Business Standard license to add EOP2. Is that 50GB lost or can it be reassigned?

Regards

@Cyberboer 

When you untick Exchange Plan 1 and tick Exchange Plan 2, it makes the mailbox 100GB and not just the standard 50GB size., so there is no "lost 50GB that you can reassign"  - it just makes the mailbox size 100GB total.

Cheers

Hi @Cyberboer,

If it was a standalone EXO P1 you could reassign it to another user but if it's part of the Business Standard subscription then it cannot be separated from that and it does seem that it's just lost in this case.

Dave

Yes - I assumed in the example that the Exchange Plan 1 was part of the Business Standard or Premium Plan.

If the user only has an Exchange Plan 1 license and you change the license to Exchange Plan 2, then you do have a spare Exchange Plan 1 license, which can then be assigned to another user, or cancelled.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Marvin Oco (Steel Contributor)
Solution

Yes Marvin you can.

Thanks

Robin Nishad

View solution in original post