How-To add a shared mailbox to the From dropdown?

Copper Contributor

Hi

I have a shared mailbox from which emails are regularly sent and thus it should appear in the from dropdown.

I couldn't find any way to it.

Is there any way to do it?

In the past I added the mailbox as a sperate account but since we started to rely on MFA this not really feasible because the 2nd factor is associated with one person...

Thank you for your thoughts.

6 Replies
See the below link for info on how to add a Shared Mailbox into your Outlook client. Please make sure you also have ‘Send As’ permissions on the mailbox.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/open-and-use-a-shared-mailbox-in-outlook-d94a8e9e-21f1-42...
Thank you - but the manual does only offer the following steps to send an email
"Click From in the message, and change to the shared email address. If you don't see your shared email address, choose Other email address and then type in the shared email address."
so it's not in the dropdown and one needs to type the address every time...
Hi @NicoRotaryCH, you have to add the shared mailbox address manually only once.
After that it will appear in the drop-down list.
Also have a look at RightFrom add-in: https://www.ivasoft.com/rightfrom.shtml.

@Victor Ivanidze I would have assumed the same but it doesn't seem to work. I'll have a look at the addin, thank you!

@Victor Ivanidze, this is only true if you have a single Exchange connection. With only one server, selections from the "Other Email Address..." selection generally (not always) do stay in the From drop-down. However, once you add a second server, then future selections from the Other Email Address never add to the drop-down. Is there a way to force them to "stick" and appear in the drop-down in the future?

In this case, you can see 3 servers above the block horizontal line in the drop-down plus 3 additional From options below that line. It is impossible, as far as I can tell so far, to add any more now because there is more than 1 server in the top block:

Colin_0-1666284489713.png

I have tried searching the Registry and "%localdata%\Microsoft\Outlook" but have not been able to find where these values in the drop-down list are stored to add to it.

The only work-around I know of is to delete the Outlook profile, add the first server, use all the From addresses so they populate the drop-down list, then and only then, add the other servers. BUT, this won't help if you need to add From addresses from multiple host servers.

Hi Colin,
what happens if you hit Other Email Address... and type the address? Will it exist in the list?