How to revert back to mail from new outlook

Brass Contributor

On windows 10, inside the the old Mail app I accidentally clicked the try new outlook toggle and ended up in the new outlook app. I tried it, it required adding of all my emails accounts again. Some I have already lost access due to lost of password but the old email was still accessible in the old Mail app. I tried to toggle it off to return to the old Mail App but after I clicked it, opening the old mail app still opens the new outlook. Now I essentially lost a bunch of my old emails.

50 Replies
Also, in my opinion, the new UI compare to the old Mail UI is absolute trash. Compare to old outlook and old mail it striked a perfect balance between not enough features, and need more actions to perform old tasks like need to explicitly mark email as read after open.
Also for all the damned souls in hell, desktop notification is gone as well. This has now officially ruined my productive stack. Gonna try thunderbird and other clients as replacement.

@damnwindows 

I did the exact same thing and lost the same things. I searched the internet on how to revert back. That's why I am here. Some said to go to the view setting, and others to the help setting. None of them works for my version. 

@damnwindows 

I was just testing out this new feature preview. But it was absolutely horrible. The default Mail for Windows used to hardly take a second to open. But this monstrousity takes a lot time to open. The supposed-to-be-user-friendly-ui is **bleep** so annoying and complex. And to add more touches of crap, there is no option to rollback to the old application.

Anyways, I tried several things and what seemed to be working for me was,

1. Uninstall the new Outlook 365 Pre application.

2. Open the Mail for Windows app (It will ask you to open microsoft store and install Outlook and select it as default app).

3. Ignore and cancel it. Again open the Mail for Windows app, keep repeating the same process again and again. After 3-4 tries, it'll open the old-yet-gold Mail for Windows.

As of your old emails, if you have them logged in and if they're being shown in Email & Accounts settings. Then after rolling back to old application you'll be able to access them as always.

This worked for me, hope it works for you as well.

@RudraXD 

When I did this, now when I open the mail it doesn't open the Microsoft Store, instead just nothing happens. So then I didn't have a single functional mail app. I could not find the office pre app in the Microsoft Store either, and installing all the Microsoft 365 apps did nothing.

How to fix it:

Install and open the old outlook, and use the switch for the new outlook from there. It will install the new outlook app again. Then you will be able to toggle the switch off again (and give your feedback). Now when you open the old Windows Mail it will work like it used to.

Just do a search in the Windows taskbar for Outlook. The old app should be there.

@damnwindows 

I don t think its that bad its just getting used to a new UI. Its gonna be that way so you may want to give it a chance or better yet wait till they work stuff out. It broke all my calendar permissions though and I had to to revert to the old one. :(
Try Proton encrypted and enable it to read all your clients.
SOLVED for those using Mail/Calendar
thanks to the link provided by LagTJ
Go to:
C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Local\Packages\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\Migration
Delete the file settings.json
Done, you've reverted to Mail/Calendar.
This worked for me, I had to try 6 times but it worked.
Thanks

That was so easy I had to smack myself in the forehead!  Thanks@jtyler180051745 

@damnwindows 
in my app version, on the upper right corner, there is a trigger: just revert the position of it and app automatically rolls back to standart w10 mail

Immagine 2023-06-06 104057.png

I was able to uninstall the new app. Click on the old one, wait, wait a little longer. Try opening the old one again. Eventually, this worked. I do not understand why we have to do this. Microsoft keeps updating my programs and making them less functional and changing the setting to send themselves data.

Okey, so I could not see the new Outlook toggle anymore in the new mail app and I clicked on the Calendar app on the left side of the screen and the New Outlook toggle showed-up on the new calendar.

I clicked the toggle and WOW the Classic mail was back!!! 

Brilliant, than you sir. You made my day.

@Smitty1234 

P.S. I DID NOT click on anything in the calendar concerned that it also might make the toggle disappear,

I just reversed the toggle...

Worked for me, thanks mate
This worked for me.