Copilot for Microsoft 365 Tech Accelerator
Feb 28 2024 07:00 AM - Feb 29 2024 10:30 AM (PST)
Microsoft Tech Community

Why does Excel not print on page despite explicit format settings

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have an Excel sheet with many columns and want to print all columns on one page. But despite setting the print options to print all columns on one page or even print whole sheet on 1 page, Excel prints it on 2 pages. I even see in print preview that Excel will print on 2 pages. I can nothing do about this. The page layout options are set to either 1 page in width and broadth.

Why does Excel not do what the user intends it to do?

1 Reply

@Frank2175 

If you have already checked and adjusted the explicit format settings and the issue persists, there are a few additional troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Clear Manual Page Breaks:

Go to the "View" tab and click on "Page Break Preview." Check for any manual page breaks, and if unnecessary, clear them.

2. Check for Merged Cells:

Merged cells can sometimes cause issues with printing. Unmerge any unnecessary cells and ensure that there are no merged cells interfering with the layout.

3. Review Print Area:

Go to the "Page Layout" tab and check if a specific print area is defined. Clear any print area if unnecessary.

4. Review Page Layout Settings:

Check the "Page Layout" settings, especially the "Size" and "Margins." Ensure that the paper size and margins are set correctly.

5. Use Print Preview to Adjust Settings:

Go to "File" > "Print" and click on "Print Preview." In the Print Preview mode, you might see an option to adjust settings. Make sure it is set to print on one page.

6. Print to PDF:

Instead of printing directly, try using the "Print to PDF" option. This can sometimes provide a clearer view of how Excel is interpreting the layout.

7. Excel Online or Different Version:

If possible, try opening the workbook in Excel Online or a different version of Excel to see if the issue persists. This can help determine if the problem is specific to the current Excel instance.

8. Check for Add-ins:

Disable any Excel add-ins that might be affecting printing. Some third-party add-ins can interfere with print settings.

9. Copy to a New Workbook:

Copy the relevant sheets to a new workbook and see if the issue persists. This can help identify if there is something specific to the current workbook causing the problem.

10. Update Excel:

Ensure that your Excel software is up to date. Updates can sometimes address bugs or glitches.

Have trying Scaling?

In the Page Layout tab, under the Scale to Fit group, check if the "Width" option is set to 1 page. If it is not, Excel might scale the sheet to fit the width on multiple pages.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and Like it!

This will help all forum participants.