What version of Excel was used?

Copper Contributor

Is there a way to check a workbook for the version of Excel that was used when it was built?

I know how to check compatibility.  I have a workbook which I have build over time.  It has a lot of formatting, formulas, macros and some VBA.  Our last Microsoft update Aug 2021.  My computer has Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 now.  

Recently I started linking workbooks.  I have a workbook for each month, Jan, Feb, March.... The same workbook is used each month.  The workbook is saved with the next month's name and the entries which are complete-removed.  Since I started linking the months there have been issues.  This is when I learned to check compatibility and there were many issues.  

I still do not know which version the workbook was started on.  Is there a way to look this up?

I have attached the file.  FYI- I removed all links because I lost a different file because it became corrupt.  Same workbook- different month.  IT had to go back 10 days to recover it from backups.  My setting are for auto backup every 15 min because I've had so many issues, all of which sound like incompatible versions.  

Thank you for your time.  

1 Reply

@3cats 

Tip:

Since an XML-based file format has been used since Microsoft Office 2007, you have another option here:

1. Take an XLSX (or XLSM) file and change the file extension to .zip.

2. Then open this zip archive and open the app.xml file in the "docProps" folder.

4. In this you will find the entry "AppVersion".

In the inserted file it would be: officeDocument / 2006 / extended-properties

The whole thing can certainly be done programmatically - but the source code should be a little longer, so not really easy either.

In the inserted Excel file you will find a small VBA code to recognize the Excel version. Is only up to Excel 2019, not fully tested (as I said, on the fast :), but it works for my Excel 2016.

File formats that are supported in Excel

Note: Whenever you save a file in another file format, some of its formatting, data, and features might not be transferred.

Excel formatting and features that are not transferred to other file formats

Save an Excel workbook for compatibility with earlier versions of Excel

Hope I was able to help you with this tip / information / link.

NikolinoDE

I know that I don't know (Socrates)