SOLVED

Validate Part Number in Cell

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I have a spreadsheet with cells B11 through B65 with a 4 digit part number.  Example, 4112. If a user enters a part number in cells B72 through B150 but that part number is not a valid part found in cells B11 through B65 it will display Invalid Part in that field. 

How can this be done?

Steph

8 Replies

@stephurso 

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(B72,$B$11:$B$65,1,FALSE),"Invalid Part")

It works in my spreadsheet if i enter this formula in cell C72 and copy it down to cell C150. An entry in cells B72:B150 either returns the item number or Invalid Part.

This works however when its a valid part number it does not pull in the part number description in the corresponding cells. Cells C11 through C65. It just pulls in the part number now.

If I type in part number 4125 in cell B72 and hit enter, if its a valid part it will display the full part number description that is listed in cell C63 if not, "Invalid Part".
best response confirmed by stephurso (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@stephurso 

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(B72,$B$11:$C$65,2,FALSE),"Invalid Part")

This works in my spreadsheet. Unfortunately from your initial post i didn't understand that there are part descriptions in range C11:C65 which you want to retrieve.

Sorry, my fault. Sometimes I have to run it through my mind several times before I can describe it correctly. This worked perfect!!! I can't thank you enough. You're the BEST!
Sorry one more thing. If Cells B72 through B150 have nothing in it, (no part number added) then the adjacent cells C72, etc. will be blank.

Ex. If I enter part number 4126 in cell B72 it displays the full part number, if not a valid part it gets the "invalid part" but if no number at all in B range then the C column is empty/blank until something is added.

@stephurso 

=IF(ISBLANK(B72),"",IFERROR(VLOOKUP(B72,$B$11:$C$65,2,FALSE),"Invalid Part"))

I entered this formula in C72 and copied it down to C150 and it works in my sheet.

@stephurso 

The display shown in the image was produced by conditional formatting.

image.png

In each case the typed number is still there but the number format shows the additional text.

The formula used to trigger the conditional format is

= COUNTIFS(validNumbers, currentCell)=0

where 'currentCell' is a relative reference to the active cell and the number format is

"Invalid part" 0

(the 0 may be omitted to hide the 4-digit code).

If the user-provided data is to be used elsewhere, the formula

= IF( 
    COUNTIFS(validNumbers, userInput), 
    userInput, 
    NA()
  )

will error where the codes are invalid.

worked great! Thanks again.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by stephurso (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@stephurso 

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(B72,$B$11:$C$65,2,FALSE),"Invalid Part")

This works in my spreadsheet. Unfortunately from your initial post i didn't understand that there are part descriptions in range C11:C65 which you want to retrieve.

View solution in original post