Using more than one formula in a cell

Copper Contributor

Hello, I need to be able to use this formula more than once (at least 3 times) nested, in the same cell to check for multiple conditions. Or something similar. I have 3 sets of conditions for blue belt, the formula needs to be able to check for all 3 conditions to see if learner has achieved a blue belt......=IF(OR(AND(R3=A3,S3=A3), AND(P3=A3,J3=A3,Q3=A3)),"Blue Belt","N")

2 Replies
Hi -

AND's and OR's are perfect for matching various sets of conditional requirements within an IF statement. The AND function allows you to test for any number of conditions and all must be true to return a true response, and then the OR function will return true if any condition is met. Using these with IF gives limitless flexibility for testing multiple conditions.

Your conditions and formula are unclear and inconsistent. It sounds like are saying there are 3 conditions and those 3 must be met to be a blue belt, however I count 5 conditions in your formula. If all 5 must be met, you would enter the following:

=IF(AND(R3=A3,S3=A3,P3=A3,J3=A3,Q3=A3),"Blue Belt","N")

This would result in a blue belt if all of your test fields (R3, S3, P3, J3, and Q3) are equal to A3.

If you clarify some of these conditions I could assist further as well.

Best regards,
Dustin

@Dustin-Doucette 

Thanks for your reply!

Yes the testing is like this:

If cells P3, J3, Q3 AND 1 of these cells (R3, S3, T3) equals A3, then Blue Belt.

Next, If cell U3 AND 1 of these cells (R3, S3, T3) equals A3, then Blue Belt.

Then If cells V3, W3, X3, Q3, equals A3, then Blue Belt.

There are 3 paths to blue belt and I need to be able to check for them all in one cell/formula.

Hope that clarifies! :)