SOLVED

Unlocked cells get locked after inserting text/hyperlink

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I'm trying to make a table where users can insert names of products in one column and hyperlinks for the products in another column.

The problem is, when I lock the sheet (of course I leave these two columns unlocked) and insert a name or a hyperlink into them, the cells lock themselves and I can no longer delete or edit them. The hyperlinks are still functional though.

This does not occur when text is written "manually".

Any help appreciated

4 Replies

@martyst My guess is that you copy the hyperlink from a locked cell. Thus the locked attribute is copied with it. Paste as values will remove the hyperlink, though. After pasting, click in the formula bar and press return. The hyperlink should return now and leave the cell unlocked.

@Riny_van_Eekelen Thank you for the reply. I copy the hyperlink from Google Chrome's adress bar.

The text is from the product's web page.

You are right, pasting it without keeping the source's format doesn't lock the cell (but removes the hyperlink as you've said).

This seems very strange.

best response confirmed by martyst (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@martyst Tried that. Same result. But pasting as values and then reconfirm does the trick.

@Riny_van_Eekelen Yes, right clicking and pasting it using the little arrow and then latest in the "hyperlink" option makes it work. Still a bit odd.

Thank you so much!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by martyst (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@martyst Tried that. Same result. But pasting as values and then reconfirm does the trick.

View solution in original post