Unhiding the first column

Copper Contributor

I am used to hiding and unhiding columns, but now my excel sheet refuses to show me the first column! I have tried "select all + right click + unhide" and just "selecting the first visible column + right click + unhide" ...

Any good advice?

12 Replies

Did you check if you freezed panes?

Yes I have both released frozen cells and tried if freezing would make the first column appear, but neither helped.

Hi @StellaRJK ,

(1) Select All(Ctrl+A) then

Home/Format/Hide and Unhide/unhide column(keyboard key :- Alt+H+O+U+L).

(2) Type A1 in Name Box & Select column(Ctrl+Space). use right click and unhide

Name Box.JPG

Thank you :)

@StellaRJK 

Happy to help you.

regards

Naveen

Worked perfectly. I have been having this problem intermittently for years.  Glad to have discovered the cause.  Thanks.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! That was it.  Perfect!

@Peter_Gourmand 

Unfortunately, this does not work for me. I am using office 365. Any other ideas?
I can get as far as selecting (highlighted) the place where column A should show, but can't figure out what to right click on to get the unhide option. Nothing that I have tried gives me that option. Any other suggestions?

@bbuddington 

As variant, locate mouse cursor close to hided column at top left and when it shows you are between columns

image.png

right click -> Unhide; or

hold left button and drag to the right

@Peter_Gourmand Thank you for your suggestion. I also faced similar problem and was struggling to solve it. The unfreeze thing worked. Thank You.

@Peter_Gourmand 

Thank you for suggesting unfreezing rows/columns.  Afterward, I was able to unhide the columns to the left.