SOLVED

Trying to set up Slicer in Excel but it doesn't appear.

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have a pivot table set up reading data from an external source.

I am trying to add a Slicer (from the PivotTable Analyze menu), but it doesn't appear.   No error messages are shown.

Steps I am following:

• Click a cell in my PivotTable.
  • Click PivotTable Analyze on the menu
  • Click Insert Slicer (it's not greyed out, and does bring up the dialog)
  • Choose my field (it is a field that's included in the pivot table)
  • Click OK.
  • The spinning "thinking" icon comes up for a moment, but the Slicer never appears. 

I believe I'm using Excel 2007 (see image below), but every time I search for help the resources all indicate Slicers aren't available in versions prior to 2010, so I'm coming up blank.  Obviously the feature does exist in the version I'm using as the button exists and opens a dialog.  Attempts to search for similar problems in other versions are all people talking about the button being greyed out in files created with older versions, which also isn't my problem.

Excel version info from File > Account.Excel version info from File > Account.

Any idea what my problem could be or where I could look for more info?

6 Replies
After inserting the slicer, click the Home tab of your ribbon, click the magnifying glass and choose "Selection pane". Does it list your slicer? If so, click on it there to select it (the Slicer tab should come available in the ribbon) so you can change its properties, possibly the size is zero or the slicer is hidden?

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

No, the Slicer isn't listed there - seems it just isn't being created for some reason.  Thanks for the idea!

best response confirmed by jbadams (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@jbadams 

Delete the pivot table and create a new one and then add a slicer.

@Detlef Lewin 

Creating a new PivotTable seems to have done the trick, thanks!

Still not sure why this worked, but at least I'm in business! :)

@jbadams 

The pivot table probably was created with an older version of Excel when there were no slicers. To recreate the pivot table updates the inner structure and slicers can be added.

This resolved my issue.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by jbadams (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@jbadams 

Delete the pivot table and create a new one and then add a slicer.

View solution in original post