SOLVED

Stop automatic text-to-columns formatting

Copper Contributor
This morning I was pasting text into excel and using Text-to-Columns to parse it. Later, in a different file, I was pasting other text that I did not want parsed into different columns. But excel is automatically separating it. It is messing up my file formatting and forcing me to manually recombine the text into a single column. I can't find anywhere in the options that will stop this from happening. Any suggestions? Text-to-Columns should not be an automatic function.
13 Replies
best response confirmed by Grahmfs13 (Microsoft)
Solution

@Emily4242 

Sometimes, Excel is too clever for its own good.

Select an empty cell.

On the Data tab of the ribbon, click Text to Columns.

Select Delimited, then click Next >.

Clear the check boxes of all delimiters.

Click Finish.

The problem should be gone (until the next time...)

Thank you, I've needed this for ages!

@Hans Vogelaar 

Is there any way to turn it off for good? Or will I need to do this every time I've used Text to Columns?

@timlonggr 

Excel will remember the settings during a session, but when you start Excel, there shouldn't be presets.

@Hans Vogelaar 

I always do the splitting a file thing first, then other comparisons later in the next process.  But this way of turning it off, while awkward, works without me having to exit Excel and re-enter.

@Jaqi Hegland 

The next to last reply in VBA code to reset after execution or to end command contains a macro that will reset Text to Columns.

If you copy that macro to a module in your Personal Macro Workbook PERSONAL.XLSB and assign it to a keyboard shortcut and/or Quick Access Toolbar button, you can reset it at any moment using one keystroke or mouse click.

Better yet, the splitting is part of a macro, I can just turn it off at the end of that macro! Awesome, thanks for telling me!
Ah, this is the same "have it split columns with no delimiters" as before, but in a macro not manually. Makes sense.

@Hans Vogelaar Thanks so much for your answer!  This has been a frustration for me for years!  FYI, it would not let me even open the Text to Columns dialog with a blank cell selected, but it worked fine with a populated cell selected.  Thanks so much!

@Hans Vogelaar 

Your solution started to work(!thanks) but I no longer can remove unwanted delimiting bars. As soon as I select 'space' as a delimiter it separates first and last names into separate columns.

@Chuck_Brooksby 

As soon as I select 'space' as a delimiter it separates first and last names into separate columns.

That is to be expected. If you select Space as delimiter, all spaces will act to start a new column.

@Chuck_Brooksby 

It doesn't have to be space, you can set up whatever delimiter you want, just set it to something that isn't going to come up in your data. "|" is popular, or "\" or "%".

@Hans Vogelaar 
you don't need to click FINISH.... you can just press ESC  (it feels weird but it works)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Grahmfs13 (Microsoft)
Solution

@Emily4242 

Sometimes, Excel is too clever for its own good.

Select an empty cell.

On the Data tab of the ribbon, click Text to Columns.

Select Delimited, then click Next >.

Clear the check boxes of all delimiters.

Click Finish.

The problem should be gone (until the next time...)

View solution in original post