SOLVED

Solving Name conflict in excel

Copper Contributor

How do you solve name conflict in excel worksheet when copying worksheets?

Annotation 2020-02-18 092047.png

7 Replies

@stanoh I suspect that you have copied a series of cells from workbook 1, worksheet A to workbook 2 worksheet B where both workbooks contain the same range name. When that happens, prior to the dialog you showed you get a dialog like the attached one on which you appear to have clicked "No".

2020-02-18_10-00-25.jpg

That means that you want to KEEP the now duplicated range name, therefore Excel prompts for a new name as two global range names cannot be the same.

Thanks i did get the results as shown, unfortunately i wasn't able to move the worksheet to the new workbook. Unfortunately no other excel operation can go on unless i close excel using the task manager and stop all excel tasks running, a solution would be welcome.
You could simply click the Yes to All button I showed above. You can get back to that dialog by cancelling the one you displayed in your first message.
Tried that and didn't work had to repeat the whole stuff again by ending excel application. it only works when i move to a blank/new book not to the second workbook...thanks anyways
I would advise you to check Name Manager (from the Formula tab of the ribbon) for both files. See if all range names are expected to be in that file or not.

Thanks i will, should they be the same or not to ensure no conflict.

best response confirmed by stanoh (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Depends on their use I guess. Whether or not you want to keep the name definition of your target workbook when pasting there will also depend on the structure of both source and target. This is one of the drawbacks of copying formulas from one workbook to another where both workbooks contain range names. It can be quite a challenge to figure out which range names should be kept. My Name Manager available for free through https://jkp-ads.com/officemarketplacenm-en.asp shows all range names in a file, including the hidden ones.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by stanoh (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Depends on their use I guess. Whether or not you want to keep the name definition of your target workbook when pasting there will also depend on the structure of both source and target. This is one of the drawbacks of copying formulas from one workbook to another where both workbooks contain range names. It can be quite a challenge to figure out which range names should be kept. My Name Manager available for free through https://jkp-ads.com/officemarketplacenm-en.asp shows all range names in a file, including the hidden ones.

View solution in original post