Solver causes non-English functions to appear

Copper Contributor

Solver is causing non-English language function names to appear. For instance if I type =d in a worksheet, then one of the many functions that is offered automatically by Excel is "DialoogOplosserOK". If I type =s I get "SolverAceptar" as one of the options. The function names that I see seem to be from several different European languages. The standard English language functions are there as well. The Solver function works fine.

If I uncheck the Solver Add-in the Excel Add-ins dialog box, then the non-English function names do not appear. I don't even need to restart Excel for the non-English names to vanish.

I am running Office 365 on an annual contract, so my software Excel 2016 is always up-to-date. This behaviour only started to occur a few months ago. Something happened, but I don't know what. I have tried doing full on-line Office repair, but that didn't help.

Can anybody advise if they have seen this behaviour and what can be done to correct it?

Cheers,

Geoff

6 Replies

I am surprised there are no responses to this.

I have exactly the same functions listed under User Defined.

It is not a huge problem, but it does clutter up the User Defined Function list.

Geoff - I have just seen the 2019 thread you posted with the same problem. It may be a coincidence, but I am also from Australia.

Doug,
The problem still exists and it's not confined to a single computer or Excel installation. I have two separate computers each running Office 365 under separate (different) Microsoft accounts and both exhibit the same problem in Excel of non-English function names appearing in the functions list. It seems to be a bug in Solver.

Either nobody else apart from you has experienced this and/or nobody has an answer.

Cheers,

Geoff

@Geoff_Frost 

The non-English UDF's are contained within the SOLVER.XLAM file, in the module VBA_Functions1. And example line from this module is provided below. I have been trying to solve the same problem you have, removing these many (83) non-English UDF's from the Insert Function window. SOLVER.XLAM has permissions issues (a read only file, with other security features) that make it hard to modify, but am sure someone smarter than I am can find a way. Btw, SOLVER.XLAM is password protected - the password is Wildebeest!!

Have fun!

TB

=============== example extract from VBA_Functions1 module within Solver.xlam=========

' French - 1036
'
Function SolveurAjouter(réf_Cellule As Variant, Relation As Integer, Optional formule As Variant) As Variant
SolveurAjouter = SolvAdd(réf_Cellule, Relation, formule)
End Function

@Bremnert 

Thanks for the explanation. That's very helpful.
Microsoft should provide a method of removing non-English language functions if the user so desires. Why bloat the UDF list for no good reason!
Cheers,
Geoff Frost

Hi Bremnert,
I only see the Dutch Solver functions (in addition to the English ones of course!) when I type an = sign. No other languages. Can you suggest a way to stop this. I am reasonably confident working with VBA and have looked into the Solver.xlam code...but as you no doubt know it's long and complex. Any thoughts on how to stop the Dutch functions from appearing?

Cheers,

Geoff Frost