Sheet View

Copper Contributor

How do you hide columns without affecting other user's views on a shared Excel workbook?

8 Replies

@Emmylou66 

This is a question I too have...I posted a thread but have yet to receive any responses...

@Amanda_Fasano  Since this question was asked I have MORE. There are no "tracking" features on the online shared excel workbooks. Shared! No way to see who or when changes are being made. That is mind blowing.

@Emmylou66 

Are you referring to the legacy feature "Shared Workbook"?  I can't recommend using this and Microsoft encourages using 365's co-authoring.  The old Shared Workbook feature is not the most stable.

@Patrick2788 we are using the shared excel sheet through Office 365. What is "365's co-authoring"??

@Emmylou66 

Co-authoring is available when the workbook is stored on OneDrive or SharePoint.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Document-collaboration-and-co-authoring-EE1509B4-1F6E-401E-...

@Patrick2788  Thank you for this information. I appreciate it. Going to read up and see if this will work. We currently have close to 12 people working out of one shared excel database. It's been a nightmare, honestly. You cannot hide a column without messing up someone else's view, etc. 

@Emmylou66 

I think it's your best option and you'd have access to a version history of the workbook.

I agree with Patrick, the statement "You cannot hide a column without messing up someone else's view" ring true, from what I can gather thus far.

In summary;

When you hide (or unhide) ROWS in ANY view (filter), it affects ONLY the current view.

When you hide (or unhide) COLUMNS in ANY view, it affects ALL views.