Search and results display

Copper Contributor

Hello

This is a very newbie question, I'm afraid, and I apologise for that.  I've no experience of using Excel other than reading the odd document in .xls format sent to me from time to time.

However, I've now downloaded from the BBC an Excel workbook that shows the recommendations made by their reviewers in the Bulding a Library section of the weekly Record Review programme on the BBC Radio 3 channel.

The first column lists the composers in alphabetical order, the second the work reviewed, the third the  reviewer's name, the fourth the date of the broadcast, the fifth the reviewer's top recommendation, the sixth, seventh and eighth the reviewer's alternative choices (if he or she has made any) and finally the last column has a link to a podcast of the episode in question, if available.

Sometimes there is a version of a particular work tucked away in the entry of the different  work that is the subject of the review. For example, Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante is one of the works incuded in the recommended disc of the same composer's Bassoon concerto. When I use the 'Find' function to find any such subsidiary mention of a particular work, the 'hit' cell is shown by a green coloured border that I find difficult to pick out on the screen.

Is it possible to change the border colour of the 'hit' cell to make it more conspicuous, or even better to have the cell infill in a different colour?

7 Replies

@LittleValley1 

if you attach the spreadsheet we can have a look.

thanks

peter

@peteryac60 

Sorry for the delay in replying; I hadn't realised that there'd been a responseto my cri-de-coeur (no email alert, nor a spellchecker...)

Anyway, the file is attached, as suggested.

Thanks

Glyn

@LittleValley1 

That's not out of the box. You may change the color/border of the active cell by adding simple VBA code to the workbook, e.g. form here https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/3635-excel-change-cell-color-when-clicked-selected.html (you may google for other variants)

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
    With Target
        .Worksheet.Cells.FormatConditions.Delete
        .FormatConditions.Add xlExpression, , "TRUE"
        .FormatConditions(1).Interior.Color = vbYellow
    End With
End Sub

It changes behaviour on

image.png

@LittleValley1 

Hi Glyn,

The solution suggested by @Sergei Baklan  will definitely work but as you are an excel newbie I would guess that you do not understand it.

However, if I understand your problem correctly a more simple solution is look at the box at the top left corner and that will tell you the CURRENT  cell.

In the example below, I searched for Mozart and the first occurence was inn Cell E107. Look at the box in the top left (highlighted in yellow) and that will tell you the current cell where Mozart is to be found. Hope that helps you.

Peter

peteryac60_1-1593185786455.png

@peteryac60 

Thank you Peter for drawing my attention to what was under my nose! It certainly works well enough for my purposes.

Glyn

@Sergei Baklan 

Thank you Sergei for your response. I've decided for the moment to stick with Peter's suggestion, but if I feel adventurous one day I'll certainly try yours out.

Glyn

@LittleValley1 

Glyn, of course, use the solution with which you are most comfortable. In Excel everything could be done by several ways.