Reverse scoring

Copper Contributor

Hi, Is there an automatic way to reverse score? 

I know the equation but it is slow and clumsy when you have multiple columns to reverse score.

Thanks.

2 Replies

@Jayqwellen 

I don't know if others know what you mean by "reverse score"--I googled the term in order to learn, even found a YouTube video with one solution.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oeP7gdCKLs

That video contains a solution with nested IF statements that I found a bit clunky, frankly. So IF that's the formula you know, I have a suggestion for a better way...but why don't you help me (and others) help you by giving a more complete description here?

1. Are you working with the five-point scale or something else?
  2. What's the equation/formula that you know and are rejecting because of the volume of your data?

Personally, if you just want a suggestion or two, I think I would avoid the nested IFs in favor of either

• using VLOOKUP to retrieve the "reverse score" from a table (or one of the other methods of looking up a value and retrieving some other; XLOOKUP, INDEX & MATCH)
  • using CHOOSE, unless you need to allow for 0 or N/A, in which case back to VLOOKUP

In any event, I don't think there's an "automatic" wand you can wave, somehow avoiding a formula or function of some kind.

Hi @Jayqwellen ,

Sorry I'm a little late to the party but thought I'd chime in since others may encounter a similar problem.

I managed a quick-fix reverse score on a four-point Likert scale over 10 columns of 5000+ rows by:

• Highlighting all columns containing the data to be reversed
  • Hitting CTRL+H to bring up the REPLACE function
  • Replacing 1 with 10, 2 with 20, 3 with 30, 4 with 40
  • Replacing 40 with 1, 30 with 2, 20 with 3, 10 with 4

Note I didn't just replace 1 with 4 off the bat since this would have conflated my newly-reversed 4s with my existing 4s, and the same for my newly-reversed 3s. Using 10s, 20s etc provided a quick code to sidestep this problem.

Best,

DC