SOLVED

Recovering Deleted Files

Copper Contributor

Aloha,

As a teacher, I have a large Excel 2016 workbook containing information on about 250 students. The first sheet, called Student Information, contains all their demographic data, such as name, ID number, birthday, address, parent names, etc. I also have some sheets that contain related information, such as faculty phone numbers, etc. Then I have an individual tab for each student, where I keep their attendance, grades, etc. I have designed the individual sheets so that I just type in the student's name at the top and then all their demographic data is imported from the Student Information sheet via the VLOOKUP command.

While working on one of the individual student tabs, my screen suddenly flashed and dumped me into the Faculty sheet. That's when I noticed that the Student Information tab was missing. Apparently the whole sheet was deleted somehow when the screen flashed. "Undo" does not work for deleted sheets (although I think it should). I had "Auto Save" turned on, so I could not click "Save As" and then reopen the original workbook in order to retrieve the deleted sheet. So I tried File --> Restore, but I am unable to open any of the previous versions of the workbook. When I click on a previous version, I get a message stating that the workbook is unable to be opened and asking if it could have been moved or deleted? But it does not offer me any options.

I have a backup version of the workbook, so I opened it and copied the Student Information sheet into the original workbook. But now none of the references work and I'm getting #REF errors everywhere even though the copied/inserted sheet is identical to the deleted one and has an identical name. I'm guessing there is a hidden address reference that I don't know how to access. Any ideas?

Thank you!

13 Replies
best response confirmed by Laurel Galway (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Laurel,

Since you have AutoSave that means you works with cloud storage (OneDrive or Sharepoint library). You may recover your previous version if you open that storage in browser, from 3-dots menu near file name select Version history and with opened pane you may restore the version you need. If you sync cloud storage with local drive it try to restore using File Explorer it works only with  file history on local drive, not in cloud. Different mechanism.

Save As is not available with AutoSave, there is Save a Copy instead. Actually works the same way as SaveAs on drive storage. As a comment and bit simplified, in cloud  files connected not to the name but internal ID:s, with SaveAs here you'll have exactly the same file but renamed. Save a copy is more correct.

As for the #REF it appeared as soon as your sheet was deleted. Excel doesn't remember the history of what it was before, if you add identical new sheet to the workbooks that means nothing for Excel.

In brief, try to restore previous version directly in cloud.

Thank you, Sergei; I appreciate the help. Using your suggestion, I was able to recover a 2-day old version from the cloud which still has the Student Information sheet intact.  

Laurel, you are welcome. Using cloud has some pros.

Hi Sergei.

I recently renewed my subscription to Office 365 after a short dormant period. However my saved files on Excel have disappeared and I too get the message that the files may have been moved or deleted.

Is there any way I can recover them? They are not stored on my cloud account.

Thanks in advance.

Sunny

Hi Sanat,

Did you check with file explorer your local disk (or where your files were) if files are actually disappeared? As variant that's updated Excel can't find them, but files exist on hard drive. 

Hi Sergei

Couldn't find the files anywhere on the hard drive, but fortunately I found a saved version on a portable usb drive (which I don't recall saving!) ;)

Thanks for your help and advice anyway.

After a recent update to Windows 10, I can not open one of my Excel Files. OI get the statement that it may have moved or been deleted? How can I recover this file?

I have inadvertently saved updated info over a previous version of an excel doc and want to restore the original one, but it is set to Auto Save to One Drive.  How do I navigate to the doc in a browser to find those magic 3 dots? Would greatly appreciate extra help!

@Sergei Baklan wrote:

Hi Laurel,

Since you have AutoSave that means you works with cloud storage (OneDrive or Sharepoint library).

@Sergei Baklan wrote:

Hi Laurel,

Since you have AutoSave that means you works with cloud storage (OneDrive or Sharepoint library). You may recover your previous version if you open that storage in browser, from 3-dots menu near file name select Version history and with opened pane you may restore the version you need. If you sync cloud storage with local drive it try to restore using File Explorer it works only with  file history on local drive, not in cloud. Different mechanism.

Save As is not available with AutoSave, there is Save a Copy instead. Actually works the same way as SaveAs on drive storage. As a comment and bit simplified, in cloud  files connected not to the name but internal ID:s, with SaveAs here you'll have exactly the same file but renamed. Save a copy is more correct.

As for the #REF it appeared as soon as your sheet was deleted. Excel doesn't remember the history of what it was before, if you add identical new sheet to the workbooks that means nothing for Excel.

. If you sync cloud storage with local drive it try to restore using File Explorer it works only with  file history on local drive, not in cloud. Different mechanism.

That's bit different for the personal OneDrive and OneDrive for Business.

Right click on synced file and check view online

image.png

or go directly to onderive.live.com,

here you may right click on file icon and select version history. If shift on List/Compact list view using one of top right icons, 3 dots will be to the right from the file name.

@Laurel Galway  

The best commercial available data recovery software is Stillbon Data Recovery Software . It is software that can be used for personal as well as business useData Recovery tool to get back your deleted data from your system. It safely recovers deleted data and its components from various devices such as mobile and PC.

kindly visit to find more info:-http://www.stillbonsoftware.com/data-recovery/

Data-Recovery.jpg

@Sergei Bakl

Hello Sergei Bakl,

My saved excel files are showing blank and the opened file hasn't the file name. When I open the same file from the recently closed files are working properly.  That means, I double click the saved files from the drives and desktop  are not opening.

Thanks in advance.....looking for your reply.

With regards,

Zakeer Thondiyil.

@Zakeer_Thondiyil 

Zakeer, check if your files association is not broken. For Windows 10 that's Settings->Apps->Default Apps->Choose default application by file type

@Sergei Baklan 

Thanks very much....now the excel is working....thanks again for every thing.

regards with,

Zakeer_Thaondiyil

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Laurel Galway (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Laurel,

View solution in original post