Re-ordering Conditional Formatting rules on Excel Online

Copper Contributor

I made a spreadsheet locally for a client and then sent it over for them to upload to their sharepoint for multiple people to use to track projects.

It has quite a long list of conditional formatting rules, which change the row colour depending on the status and then it has a final one that searches based on tags, and any rows that contain the tag being searched for are highlighted differently (these can then be filtered easily or just there as a highlight depending on what they're doing.) 

So that all works fine and was sent and uploaded, and I was given back-end access to make sure it all works fine. The client then wanted to add one more status field, which I did, but I can't figure out how you change the order of the conditional formatting rules to move the search one to the top (if it isn't at the top, then the new status field colour overrides it and so anything that's that status won't be searchable.)

Surely this must be supported in Excel online? I also can't just delete and re-add the search, as there also doesn't seem to be a custom format option in conditional formatting in online and the default formats are too similar to the other status formats. 

Is there a way around this, or am I going to have to ask the client to download and email back to me the current version of the file to make a 10 second change? 

1 Reply

@DigimaVP Conditional formatting was introduced in Excel for the Web only recently. The announcement mentioned this for future developments:

Riny_van_Eekelen_0-1645095443431.png

Thus, reordering rules isn't there yet. You have to revert to the desktop version.