Protected View

Copper Contributor

Hello, I have an issue with Protected View. According to all the documentation I have read, Protected View gets turned on if the aternate data stream of a file is in a certain configuration so as to make MS Excel, Word, etc believe that the document was downloaded from the internet. However it seems to happen on my machine quite often, even when I have not downloaded the document from the internet, but received in as an Outlook attachment... or even just a file I have saved on my own after creating it on my system. With our Win 7 machines at work, we have administrator privileges and I can edit the document properties on disk to resolve this, but we are moving to a much more restrictive Win10 environment, and the security properties of files cannot be edited (right clicking the file on disk, and checking unblock in the options there). From this post, on another site, it appears the problem is not unique to me, however I seem to be one of the few people at my workplace that have this problem. I'd love to hear from someone who has been able to get to the bottom of why my files inherit this kind of problem in the first place. I have never had a user complain to me that a file I sent them appears in protected view for them, when they open it - yet when I save an attachment from some messages in my Sent folder, and open them, they seem to have that blocked property set on them, which always makes me paranoid that some recipient is going to run into this and feel like I put an extra hurdle in the file intentionally to interrupt their work with one of my creations.

Thank you.

Bill Benson

0 Replies