Power Query - Please help me match changing values with logic

Copper Contributor

Hello Together,

this is my first activity here. I hope, I am doing everything right and describing everything corretly and understandable.

At first I describe my source data, then what I am doing with it and at the end the challenge, that I am unable to achieve without you.

My source is a CSV-file with financial bookings. Here an example:

Aeraxon_0-1606837164227.png

I am importing and processing it with the Power Query Editor.

As nearly all sourrounding information are in the field „verwendungszweck“ (subject), I am extracting some other information out of it.

I am able to give every booking a category. I need that for later analysis.

I am also able to read out the flight number if there is one.

So out of „Mietzahlung für Flugzeug  - Boeing 727-100C - Reg.- D-AHLS - GMI8398“ I am getting the additional colum „flightnumber“ with the value „GMI8393“, and also the additional colum „registrierung“ with the value „D-AHLS“.

Here an example:

Aeraxon_1-1606837164243.png

The flight number is always different and I don’t know it before.

My challenge:

I would like to add the registration tot he rows where I know the flight number.

So going from:

Aeraxon_2-1606837164243.png

Getting to this:

Aeraxon_3-1606837164244.png

My Problem:

I cannot „hardcode“ it, because I don’t know the flight number before.

So I would need some logic like:

If you find a match between a flight number and a registration, then fill the same registration into the empty registration-fields oft he same flightnumber.

Is that possible to automate? How can I do that?

Nothing is secret on this project. It is for learing purposes for me so the data comes from a video-game and can be shared without any doubt.

Best regards & thanks in advance for the help.

Lasse

1 Reply

@Aeraxon Certainly possible. With your file to play with, I suggest you try this:

In PQ, sort your date first by Flight number, then by Registration number. Now I can't remember if the Registration numbers will show at the top or bottom of the each group of flight numbers . If at the top, use Fill down or if at the bottom use Fill upp.