SOLVED

Power Query missing "from SharePoint folder" option

Copper Contributor

Hey All, 
I am trying to connect to a sharepoint folder, However the option is just missing, I keep seeing guide that tell me to use the option but I don't have it. 

I have a microsoft office 365 business premium account 

Thanks in advance. 2.png

16 Replies
best response confirmed by MichaelYe (Copper Contributor)
Thank you Sergei
Hello Sergei. What about Office 2013? How I can create SharePoint folder connection with Excel? Thank you!

@Timo1950 

You may try to install Power Query from here Download Microsoft Power Query for Excel from Official Microsoft Download Center but for SharePoint connector you have to have Pro version of Office.

Please note

@Timo1950 

Once you have the Power Query Add-in installed...
Create a new blank (Power) query > Advanced Editor > Select all > Paste this code:
(gives you a table of all PQ M functions available in the used product - the PQ Add-in in your case)

let
    // #shared library excluding this workbook's Queries & custom functions
    Source = Record.ToTable(
        Record.RemoveFields(#shared,
            Record.FieldNames(#sections[Section1])
        )
    ),
    SelectedTypeFunction = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Value] is function),
    RemovedValue = Table.SelectColumns(SelectedTypeFunction, {"Name"}),
    SortedByName = Table.Sort(RemovedValue, {{"Name", Order.Ascending}}),
    RenamedColumn = Table.RenameColumns(SortedByName,
        {{"Name", "Function name"}}
    )
in
    RenamedColumn

Check the list but top of my head functions SharePoint.Contents, SharePoint.Files & SharePoint.Tables should be there. AFAIK there's no restriction to access a Sharepoint site as long as you have the appropriate credentials, in which case:

• Create a blank query
  • In the PQ Editor formula bar enter:

=SharePoint.Files("<TheRootAddressOfTheSharepointSite>", [ApiVersion=xx])

(for xx, check the function doc.)

• Validate (you'll be asked for your Credentials) and you should get what you need

See i.e. Connecting to Files in SharePoint & OneDrive with Power BI / Power Query that discusses the diff. between SharePoint.Files & SharePoint.Contents

@L z. 

As a comment, I'm not sure add-in for 2013 supports ApiVersion mentioned in documentation (I guess 15). Better to skip or use null. Or use one which appears by default for this version of PQ.

I couldn't/can't check that aspect so thought an example + hlink to doc. could help @Timo1950
Nevertheless trying without the option first is a good recommendation. Thanks

@L z. 

ApiVersion 14 was buggy, #15 is also not free of bugs but it is updated from time to time. In any case that's not a good idea to use PQ last updated couple couple of years ago, but perhaps for the concrete task it works.

@Sergei Baklan thanks but whats the solution

@keniry 

IMHO, solution is to have proper subscription which support functionality you need.

@Sergei Baklan thanks again but 

The answer seems to be in today's MS product description gibberish; 

• Microsoft 365 Apps for Enterprise - this worked for me or
  • Office 2019 Professional Plus Standalone - don't know

Either way microsoft need to take a little more care to make products less annoying to use, like making this a greyed out feature on versions it's not available on.

Perhaps its kept a secret because after hours wasted on finding this (with your help) and then trying to use it I find the feature is worthless since it is unreliable returning stale folder names.

...given its one of the most promising things MS have done in years why dont they just fix these many annoyances - we can only wonder.

Please see this easy HowTo:
https://support.cloudextend.io/en/articles/5473095-get-excel-data-from-a-single-file-or-entire-folde...

The real solution.

I believe it is the "best answer"...

Gaston

@Gaston Huot 

That's okay, but doesn't answer on question why the connector could be missed and why it could work differently on this or that version of Power Query.

@keniry 

Don't comment documentation, but connector itself returns correct results if perform refresh properly.

That's right, but at least we can do it, can't we ? Let us proclaim the mystery of Microsoft.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by MichaelYe (Copper Contributor)