Power Query menu not available on Excel for Mac

Copper Contributor

I've sat on MS help for over 2 hours with them searching for a way to add the Power Query functionality to Excel on my Mac.  I am a brand-new 365 office account holder, with the latest downloads of the office suite direct from my 365 account, so from what I have read online, this version SHOULD show the power query menus, and in particular the Unpivot function that I'd like to be able to use. In fact, part of the reason I even bought into the 365 office was so that I would have access to tools like this.

Does anyone have ANY ideas on how to get these menus to actually show up so I can attempt to use them??

The Help desk looked everywhere it seems to find this but could not. No add-ins, no hidden menus...

1 Reply

@kchovan Power Query is NOT available on Excel for Mac to its full extent. You need to use the Windows version to create queries. Since the beginning of 2019 you can refresh queries (to local files) on a Mac. Since a few months ago you can also refresh queries that connect to tables/ranges in the current workbook.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/excel-blog/get-amp-transform-power-query-in-excel-for-mac-pha... 

If you want to enjoy PQ on a Mac, you need to set-up a virtual Windows machine on it and run Excel from from there. Can confirm it works great, even on an old MB Pro (late 2012, Catalina, MS365 subscription) using Parallels. Though, it's too heavy for the old battery. So, I keep the power supply plugged in.