SOLVED

PoE Switch Planning

Copper Contributor

I could use some help on this.

I have 3 types of network switches. An 8 port, a 24 port and a 48 port. I have several different types of IP cameras, each with their own required wattage consumption that need to be plugged into the switches.

The 8 port switch can provide a total of 124W of power distributed through 8 ports. Each port can provide up to 30W of PoE power up to the PoE budget of 124W has been reached.

The 24 port switch can provide a total of 328W of power distributed through 24 ports. 4 of those ports are designated to provide up to 60W per port while the remaining 20 can only provide up to 30W per port up to the PoE budget of 328W has been reached.

The 48 port switch is similar but it can provide a total of 740W of power distributed through 48 ports. 8 of those ports are designated to provide up to 60W per port while the remaining 40 can only provide up to 30W per port up to the PoE budget of 740W has been reached.

Can a spreadsheet be made to calculate how much of the PoE budget is left for each individual switch type depending on how many and which type of camera I plug in to it? The number and types of cameras are subject to change so the sheet needs to be dynamic and, all the ports on each switch may or may not be used.

Thank you for your time.

Charles

3 Replies

@CharlesMcD27  There are lots of ways to tackle this and depends on your needs and desires.  I have put together a quick sheet to show one approach.  Basically I have a lookup table for the IP cameras and then for each switch I have max watts and port watts and finally use conditional formatting to highlight either individual lines for individual port issues (red) or the whole switch it total power is off (orange):

mtarler_0-1661433741810.png

best response confirmed by CharlesMcD27 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@mtarler That's perfect really. I'm a visual person so I'm happy to have the visual cues for when the switch is full vs being over wattage budget. So, is it difficult to populate the IP camera list with actual camera models without messing anything up?  I have a list of them.

Thank you. I really appreciate your help. Just like a cleaning up a messy room, I had nowhere to begin. 

@CharlesMcD27  no it shouldn't be hard. In fact if you start in the middle and use "insert cells" and push the existing ones down then you can be pretty sure excel will adjust all the ranges for the formulas and drop down lists accordingly.  Then type over or delete the existing demo lines.

mtarler_0-1661528290994.png

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by CharlesMcD27 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@mtarler That's perfect really. I'm a visual person so I'm happy to have the visual cues for when the switch is full vs being over wattage budget. So, is it difficult to populate the IP camera list with actual camera models without messing anything up?  I have a list of them.

Thank you. I really appreciate your help. Just like a cleaning up a messy room, I had nowhere to begin. 

View solution in original post