Pivot Tables for Multiple Worksheets in one Workbook

Copper Contributor

I'm building a workbook that will have a LOT of worksheets, all with the same format, just data (numbers) from different months and years.  I will need to be able to do a lot of calculating and manipulating of that data in many ways, and I believe using a Pivot function would be the best and easiest way to do it.  I've use it in the past, but it has been many years and many versions of Excel ago, and this Excel 2013 is so different and so much more sophisticated I feel like I'm starting from scratch.  I tend to pick up these things very well, as I've never had a class in any of the Microsoft Office products but have become an expert level in Word and Excel (except for this sort of thing), as well as Powerpoint.  I'm also very proficient in Publisher and Access.  I've also learned--on the fly--many other types of software. So, what I'm trying to say is I just need a little guidance (I hope) at how to get things going at linking the tables and being able to manipulate the data in various ways (% of race by school year, #of students by month by race and/or sex by school year, etc.).  We're looking at attendance trends over the last several years, by sex and by race, so we need to be able to look at the data in a lot of ways and we need to be able to show it graphically, in bar (column) charts, line charts, possibly combination charts, and pie charts.  Any helps, tips, suggestions, etc. would be GREATLY appreciated!!!  Thank you!!

1 Reply

Hi Carla,

Afraid my answer will be too abstract. What i'd do is to use Power Query (aka Get & Transform for Excel 2016) to load your data to data model and transform into the form you need; use PowerPivot (aka Power Pivot for Excel 2016) to build measures on these data; and return that back to Excel sheet as PowerPivots and PowerCharts. Even more better to use Power BI for interactive visualization.

The rest depends on concertings.