Pivot Table and Chart, Percentages, and calculated field

Copper Contributor

Hello all -

I'm struggling with setting up a pivot table to create a pivot chart.  My data has age group and number of ER visits.  Then I have to create a new field that assigns a 1 if the number of ER visits is 1 or more visits and 0 otherwise.  I created the column in the data, but I think I need to create a calculated field that does the same.  The assignment provides a hint (HINT: The average of a 0-1 column is a percent) but that honestly doesn't make sense to me.  I've attached my data and what I have done.  Essentially, I need to be able to chart the highlighted items.  If I filter out the 0, then all of the age groups are 100% (which is not what it should be).  

acarter02_0-1639326226473.png

I can do this easily outside of a pivot table.  I'm probably doing something stupid, lol.  Any guidance is appreciated!

3 Replies

@acarter02 

Does this do what you want?

Thank you for the response. Yes that might work. I can see that you made the "0" series No Line. I'm wondering if it makes more sense to make the Has ER Visit a calculated field. Does the hint that is provided make sense to you? (The average of a 0-1 column is a percent).

@acarter02 

You didn't mention on which version of Excel. If data model is available I'd work with it.

You may use measure

Has ER Visit, %:=VAR allVisits =
    COUNTROWS ( Range )
VAR ERvisits =
    CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( Range ), Range[Has ER Visit] = 1 )
RETURN
    DIVIDE ( ERvisits, allVisits )

to build chart like

image.png