Paste using enter key no longer available

Copper Contributor

Hi
I've used Excel for years and always used the Enter key for pasting data

Recently the enter key stopped performing the paste funtion on a couple of machines, just drops one line instead, so you have to use ctrl + V to paste, which i don't want ... (call me stuck in a rut or just too old to change!) Please note paste still works with all teh other methods, like Ctrl+V, right click and the edit menu etc, it's just the enter key that's stopped working for paste...

On several other machines I can paste data using the enter key (all running office365 latest versions), so the feature has not been removed, it's just affecting 1 or 2 machines, so not a one off either!

This morning on one machine which WAS still working for pasting with enter key, after quiting and restart excel 9not the PC, no updates or anything) it's stopped working, so now none of my own machines work! Enough is enough, I need a fix please!

2 of my machines the enter key stopped pasting a GOOD while ago, all have been running office365 (so excel 2016) for about 18-24months, all from the same family office account, all updated regularly, so currently on version 1711 build 8730.2122. one is Windows 7, rest are all Windows10 x64

I have checked the options and advanced features, but nothing there. I having searched google, found little relevant except a post, which suggested a "full repair online re-install" but this has not fixed the issue. Microsoft linked helpdesk (using the help chat option inside excel) got me nowhere, except a sore head :(

I don't have any clipboard managers enabled on all the machines in question, might have on one of them, and do use a KVM screen sharing tool called Multiplicity on them all, but this has not been updated recently, and did not affect the machine that continued to work using enter (until it stopped earlier today!), so can't see that being a factor?

The feature was inbuilt into Excel, it was not an external macro or some VBA, although would consider using a fix using these if that was the only solution (if anyone has some code to share), but I'd much rather fix the issue via correct configuration, or registry key or whatever!

Anyone able to help revert the enter key to provide paste capability?

Thanks in advance
Richard

11 Replies

For me, it works just fine!

There is no option to turn it on/off!

Try to repair the Office from Control Panel.

Thanks, but other than the "Quick Repair Office" and "Online Repair Office (downloads new installer files)" both within the Change Office365 option of Control Panel > Programs and Features > Change

I've tried this on 2 machines that have the problem, neither has changed/returned to the original ability to use the <Enter> key to paste :( ... including on the machine that worked first thing this morning but stopped working today.

I'm getting bald patches from pulling my hair out!

Thanks

Richard

Ask this community.

It's more active than this, and has too many experts!

You may find someone who can help you!

thanks, will post there and hopefully someone will have found a solution!

Thanks for your pointers

Richard

Try this one.

File > Options > Advanced

Uncheck After pressing Enter, move selection

Hi and thanks for the suggestion, but right now the 2 machines I have in front of me are both operating again with normal <enter> key will paste, and that option is set to "move down"

I tried a variety of key combinations like Alt + Ctrl and Enter, as read someone had success, and 2 out of 5 machines resumed operation, although I could not figure out which combo made it work or if it was due to an interim update via the Office 365 live updates. A wIn7 machine was still not operating last time I tried, about 6 weeks ago, but don't use that PC often, so had given up trying to fix it ...

It is a strange behaviour to suddenly lose and randomly regain, with little chatter online about replication/removal other than a few specific issues, that are either patched or in version long since left behind ... but highly irritating after 30years to suddenly not be able to use one of the features/key combinations that is used most (by me)!!

Would love to know if there is a key combo to toggle it, that I can use if it happens again, but I do think it was relating to updates, as the issue appeared on multiple machines at roughly the same time, and cleared at a similar time ... probably will never know!

Thanks

Richard

this is the most horrible functionality ever..    running a macro provides a dialog box where enter is required in certain conditions..    holding down enter will cause the macro to run quickly for hundreds of rows.   when the macro is finished, the entire contents of the clipboard are awfully pasted to where the macro finishes totally bashing up everything.

worst idea ever.

we must be able to disable this only destructive feature.

Hi Richard, 

Did you manage to get an answer on this???? 

With many thanks

Richard,

I've started having the same issue over the past couple months. I'm like you, I'm very used to doing it this way and it is very frustrating when this functionality seizes to work. I'm curious, did you ever find the cause or a fix?

Hey There, 

I removed office 365, shut down the computer and reinstalled office 365... Hey presto it worked... Maybe just luck but it's solved for me, touch wood... I wish you and everyone else good luck in the quest for solving this mystery.

With regards

Sadly the issue appears random, and while not re-installed, the feature appears to come and go, unrelated to any key press combinations I've tried.

There was a key press combo that seemed to work on one PC but not help the other, and then later when the issue recurred on that machine it had no impact, so all a bit random.

While so people say the feature causes issues with specific code entry or the like, that sure should mean that an option can and should be EXPLICITLY setup in the preferences to ensure they can opt out of the historic and very useful shortcut that many users have utilized without any issues for tens of years.

Please fix this, or add an option in preferences and make the behavior repeatable and predictable, controlled by the user not some random set of issues.

Anyone able to confirm a key combo to toggle the operation please feel free to share!

thanks

Richard