Opening Excel Templates on SharePoint sites

Copper Contributor

I have created an excel template that will be used as a form.  I uploaded the file to SharePoint and created a link.  But when I click on the link, it opens the template as read only.  I want it to create a workbook based on the template.  I know that in File Explorer I would just right click and select "New."  But is there anyway to do this with the SharePoint link?

2 Replies

@recourt62 

for more informations click on the Link.

Set a custom template for a SharePoint library

When you create a SharePoint document library, you can set a default file type to open when a new file is created (for example, you can set a PowerPoint file as the default file type to open). You can also customize the default file template for that library. For example, you can create a Word template with customized headers and footers, or other custom features, and make it the default template for that library. Then, when you or your users create a new file, it opens in the appropriate program with your customized features.

Note: You must have Full control permissions for the library to set up a template.

Hope this information will help you.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

@recourt62 Have you received any answers to this question, I have the same question after seeing the same behavior. I want to send out a link to the file on the sharepoint site and have it open as a new document when someone clicks the link.