Need to separate headers into their own worksheets.

Copper Contributor

I need to pull data from one work sheet into separate worksheets by their header. I know I can copy/paste but I want it to auto update so that way if they add data to the top worksheet, it will update the rest of the workbook. How can I do that? 

1 Reply

@amarin2345 

To automatically separate data from one worksheet into separate worksheets based on their headers and ensure that the separation remains updated when new data is added to the original worksheet, you can use Excel's Power Query feature. Here's how you can do it:

1. Format your data: Ensure that your data is organized with headers in the first row and data starting from the second row. Each header should correspond to the category by which you want to separate the data into different worksheets.

2. Load your data into Power Query:

• Select any cell within your data range.
    • Go to the "Data" tab on the Excel ribbon.
    • Click on "From Table/Range" in the "Get & Transform Data" group. This will open the Power Query Editor.

3. Transform your data:

• In the Power Query Editor, you'll see your data displayed in a table format.
    • Click on the drop-down arrow next to the header of the column by which you want to separate the data.
    • Choose "Group By" from the menu.
    • In the "Group By" dialog box, select an appropriate operation for the data. For example, you might choose "All Rows" to keep all the rows together.
    • Click OK to apply the grouping.

4. Load data into separate worksheets:

• In the Power Query Editor, you should see a new column added to your data with the grouped data.
    • Click on the drop-down arrow next to the grouped data column header.
    • Choose "Expand" from the menu to expand the grouped data into separate columns.
    • Click on "Close & Load" in the home tab of the Power Query Editor.
    • In the "Load To" dialog box, choose "Only Create Connection" and click OK.
    • Go to each worksheet where you want to display the separated data.
    • Click on a cell where you want the separated data to start.
    • Go to the "Data" tab on the Excel ribbon.
    • Click on "Existing Connections" in the "Get & Transform Data" group.
    • Select the connection that corresponds to the data you just loaded in Power Query.
    • Click OK to load the data into the selected worksheet.

Now, whenever you add new data to the original worksheet and refresh the data connections in the other worksheets, the separated data will be automatically updated accordingly. The text was created with the help of AI.

If this suggestion is not what you want, please include detailed information in your message. In this link you will find instructions/help on which information you should best include in your request.

Welcome to your Excel discussion space!

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and like it!

This will help all forum participants.